1999 tahoe steering loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70cudagone

Reaction score
I actually have 2-99 tahoes. One steers fine and tight and the other feels like I'm on ice at high speeds. I have read many of the suggestions on this forum. I disconnected the EVO with the bypass tube after installing a new sensor on the column which didn't work either. The front end is tight, ball joints etc. all seem ok. Is there a possibility that if I change the pump itself to a 96 that will make a difference. In other words, is the orifice in the 99 pump the same as the 96? I didn't try the tighten the gear in the steering box itself as people claim it will soon wear out. There doesn't seem like much play between someone turning the wheel and the response at the box. Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is suddenly getting loose and then returning to normal (like hitting a patch of ice on the road) then that’s usually the EVO sensor on the steering column under the dash.

You could change to a 96 pump, but need to swap the hoses as well. Alternately, they sell a bypass kit that replaces the EVO component on the 97+ pump, allowing you to reuse the existing hoses. It’s usually cheaper to just buy a 97+ pump with the bypass already installed.

GM changed the steering gearbox for 1997.
I have two 98s, both with functioning EVO. One has a stock steering gear, the other a gearbox from a 96 or under. The 96 and under box is noticeably firmer where the 98 is pretty loose when you first get in it and before you get used to it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70cudagone

Reaction score
I installed a new sensor. That made no difference. Then I installed the bypass tube. Maybe the steering isn't loose as it just seems too easy. Hard to control over 50mph but not swaying off the road. Think a different orifice out of a pre 97 may seem to "tighten" it up, or are they the same.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the steering gear on the other (better handling) 99 been replaced? Pull the collar back where the steering shaft connects to compare the connection.

A 96 and under style will have a visible snap-ring...

48cdc4d4cb95953686fcce24214e00de.jpg

The 97 and up style will not...

27fa9f58551a8f9f0759ae5d799f05e0.jpg

More information on it:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/steering-box.44132/

70cudagone

Reaction score
I checked on both of my Tahoes and found the one that feels correct has the PS line run a different way that the one that doesn't. It still has the EVO so I will not "fix" it because it isn't broken. The sloppy one that I eliminated the EVO seems to have a little slop and click in the box itself. If I do change out the box and pitman arm it may tighten up. Not sure if the bypassing of the EVO will still make it steer way too easy but I believe that is a pump, orifice issue and maybe I'm just not used to it. Have you ever adjusted the box itself with adjusting the gear with an allen wrench? I figure it is worth a shot before pulling it out.

70cudagone

Reaction score
By the way, one is a LT and one a LS. Both 4WD with same mileage at about 160K. Shouldn't matter I don't think. Both boxes and pumps seem to be original but at 20 years old? Who Knows,

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked on both of my Tahoes and found the one that feels correct has the PS line run a different way that the one that doesn't. It still has the EVO so I will not "fix" it because it isn't broken. The sloppy one that I eliminated the EVO seems to have a little slop and click in the box itself. If I do change out the box and pitman arm it may tighten up. Not sure if the bypassing of the EVO will still make it steer way too easy but I believe that is a pump, orifice issue and maybe I'm just not used to it. Have you ever adjusted the box itself with adjusting the gear with an allen wrench? I figure it is worth a shot before pulling it out.

What is different about the pump line routing?

I have not tried adjusting a box before, I hear that it is a stop gap measure that may make things worse.

70cudagone

Reaction score
Seems like the same pump just that the EVO line ran towards the drivers side before I disconnected it with the bypass tube. It did have a newer hose on it so maybe it was installed that way. The other one runs more from
center of the engine then loops back under the pump. That one seems to be original. I guess I have an excuse to roam around the bone yard and check some out. Either way, I have to pick up some parts anyway. Next step seems to be steering box and/or pitman arm. Don't think that there is anything left to check or change.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original EVO pumps (even with the bypass kit) have the line running under the pump to the front.

45d6b96cef796ff250b98f221841f4c0.jpg

I’ am not sure how the 96 was done. I believe the 88-95 pumps are not interchangeable with the 96...something to do with the mounting bracket on the TBI.

I’’ would definitely swap the pitman arm if you’ are doing the gearbox, it’ is being removed anyways. An impact makes quick work of the arm. My 98 has a Bluetooth brand box from the 96-under style. It’ is definitely stiffer than the newer style one on my other 98.

Last edited:

70cudagone

Reaction score
Thanks for that tip. I would rather have stiffness to the steering than not. I can put a 96 box into the 99? I am sure they will line up but is the gearing of the box the same? In other words, the steering wheel will have close to or the same number of turns from full turn left to full turn right.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ratios are the same unless you order a quick ratio box. Mine bolted right up, no issues.

70cudagone

Reaction score
got side tracked and didn't have time yet. Let you know the outcome when I get it finished. Thanks for all your help!

70cudagone

Reaction score
it ended up being the pitman arm. The box was tight and ok. It was not the original pitman arm and the last guy who installed it did not use a new lock washer so inevitably it loosened up and wore out. Problem solved. thanks for your help