2008 Tahoe Grille Removal Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMC1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up everyone. I just bought a used LTZ lower grille (the upper grille will be coming soon, hopefully). I attempted to put the lower part in but stopped when I realized I was getting pissed and was going to break something.:lol: I searched the forums and couldnt find any good threads on how to remove it. Can someone explain this process or point me in the right direction please? Pictures would be nice so I know what the heck I'm doing. Thanks in advance. John

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey... did you take the complete grill off the truck yet? (body colored surround + Upper/lower trim and mesh)

I removed mine to paint the grill back in Sept when I got the truck. It was a bit of a pain but you just have to figure out which tabs to start pressing down on and push through the bumper.

You should remove the complete grill first. There are some tabs along the bottom that you have to progressively push through the bumper. Basically the grill "snaps" in along the top of the bumper and along the sides of the headlights. There's also a few push pins at the top.

Once you have the complete grill off the truck, you can then start removing the grill trim and the mesh inside the trim. Removing the mesh is the hardest part. It was a royal pain when I wanted to paint the mesh a different color than the trim. There are more of those "tabs" but they are really hard to flex/seperate. Took me forever and I thought I was going to break them too but didnt.

USMC1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got as far as taking the 6screws out of the top. I started messing around with it and didn't want to break anything. The color match surround is connected to the bumper correct? It would be a lot easier if I could just take it off so I could see what I was doing. Thanks for the help.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats exactly what you should do.

So remove the top push pins. Once thats done you have to separate from the sides of the headlights. Just lift a little and push out. It has a few L shaped hooks if I remember correctly. (or maybe it was snap-pins?)

Then you just have to separate the tabs on the bottom edge from the top of the bumper. Grab a flash light and you'll be able to figure out which ones are which. There's 4 or 5. The rest are for the mesh/grill trim. The tricky part is figuring out which are which but again, if you have some good light or a flash light, you'll be able to tell which are which.

They you'll have the whole assembly out which is the EASY part. :)

I suggest you then remove the trim/mesh together from the surround. (a few tabs)

Lastly you can separate the mesh from the trim (more tabs). I'll warn you... this part is the hard part. The "mesh" (hard plastic) is really hard to remove. The tabs are really hard plastic and your hands will hurt like hell!

Good luck... ;)

USMC1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I should get the upper grille sometime next week and give it a shot. Thanks for explaining things a little better. It'll save me money from breaking it to pieces. I'll let you know how it goes.... And I'll let you know if I have any other questions. John

USMC1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been trying to take this grille apart and nothing is working. I've got the 6 screws out of the top and the two side clips off. I broke a tab off already and now its just pissing me off. I've been going at this for two days now. I dont understand why they have to make this so difficult. Any other suggestions on how to remove it?

USMC1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If any anyone cares, I got the lower LTZ grille on with the help of a few friends. When we went to put the upper grille on, we discovered that it was so badly damaged that it wouldnt work. I contacted the ebay seller and he said he would give me a full refund. I'm in the process of getting another upper. Until then, my wife has to roll around with crome mesh lower and black mesh upper. She thinks its a little ghetto, but hey, at least I dont have to drive it. Haha