2012 Tahoe stops being a truck....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your body-on-frame construction boys, because it's reported in today's edition of Autotech Daily that if it gets approved, GM is switching all of their SUV's to unibody construction. The switch coincides with the next major redesign. Right now the 9XX platform is used on the Silverado, and like like knowing that my Tahoe has the sturdiness of a pick-up. The switch to a car-like construction is for fuel savings due to the lighter weight.

Last edited:

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That just means i won't get another GM SUV, just trucks w/ beds for me. No major loss. If I want a people hauler, I'll get the car I want.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your body-on-frame construction boys, because it's reported in today's edition of Autotech Daily that if it gets approved, GM is switching all of their SUV's to unibody construction. The switch coincides with the next major redesign. Right now the 8XX platform is used on the Silverado, and like like knowing that my Tahoe has the sturdiness of a pick-up. The switch to a car-like construction is for fuel savings due to the lighter weight.

That is GREAT news. It's 2000-friggin-8 already. Time to modernize vehicle construction.

Tow capacity will not be an issue. My 2006 Porsche Cayenne S can already manage 7729 lbs and it's much smaller than a Tahoe or Suburban.

Sign me up for a unibody Denali XL, with a diesel, and preferably with independent rear suspension, too.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
That is GREAT news. It's 2000-friggin-8 already. Time to modernize vehicle construction.

Tow capacity will not be an issue. My 2006 Porsche Cayenne S can already manage 7729 lbs and it's much smaller than a Tahoe or Suburban.

Sign me up for a unibody Denali XL, with a diesel, and preferably with independent rear suspension, too.

You can't be serious.:skep: :skep: :skep: The Tahoe won't be a real truck anymore if they do that.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I care if it is a real truck, I don't want some watered down loser cruiser.

Better get used to being a "loser," then. This is the way the industry is going ... :)

And BTW, I have a 2002 2500HD with a Duramax and I cannot WAIT to replace it with something that tows what I need to tow but doesn't ride like crap, have an interior straight out of the Tupperware catalog, and have all the refinement of a stone ax.

Technology has progressed. Time to get onboard.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Just wouldn't seem like a "real truck" to me w/o an actual frame underneath it. I feel safer with a full framed chassis. I can see the reasoning behind it, and I'm sure by then there will be somewhat more advancement with unibody design to make it much stiffer than today's construction. But still...

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better get used to being a "loser," then. This is the way the industry is going ... :)

And BTW, I have a 2002 2500HD with a Duramax and I cannot WAIT to replace it with something that tows what I need to tow but doesn't ride like crap, have an interior straight out of the Tupperware catalog, and have all the refinement of a stone ax.

Technology has progressed. Time to get onboard.

No I'll just keep mine till it blows up, that should be good for about 400, 000 miles. It will still be a sad day when they neuter the Truck. That is like giving a Corvette a 4 cylinder!

Last edited:

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.....Tow capacity will not be an issue. My 2006 Porsche Cayenne S can already manage 7729 lbs and it's much smaller than a Tahoe or Suburban....
Interestingly that's the exact opposite of what the report stated: "...tends to be lighter and more fuel efficient but is not as capable when it comes to towing, hauling and overall ruggedness....."

.......I have a 2002 2500HD with a Duramax and I cannot WAIT to replace it with something that tows what I need to tow but doesn't ride like crap, have an interior straight out of the Tupperware catalog, and have all the refinement of a stone ax......
I don't blame you. Aluminum diesel...what a terrible fate for recycled beer cans. ;) A 12 valve 5.7 Cummins with the old P7100 injection pump. There's a towing beast. Can't do much for the suspension though...:eek:

Last edited:

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you. Aluminum diesel...what a terrible fate for recycled beer cans. ;) A 12 valve 5.7 Cummins with the old P7100 injection pump. There's a towing beast. Can't do much for the suspension though...:eek:

LOL. The Duramax is absolutely awesome, as is the Allison transmission.

It's the clunky truck that it goes in that I could do without!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang on, what is the difference between the two :confused: ?

unibody is what they use on cars, so their really getting rid of all the toughness.

we have an acadia/enclave, and i have owned and own a gmt 800 and 900. the 900 and even 800 are by far the smoothest vehicle of them all.

900 is more smooth than 800 but 800 is still smoother than the lambda's which is a unibody frame, also the acadia while still being a gmc, flexes more, and bumps are more harsh, as well as it just does not feel as solid over all.

so putting a unibody on a tahoe is really just makeing things worse. why fix what aint broke.

i mean the gmt 900 is one of the most solid, smoothes, quietest, truck i have ever ridden in, infact except for super luxo cars that i cant afford, its the smoothest vehicle ever IMO. bumps are like nothing, steering is solid, body never flexes, the gmt 900s are the best thing ever, why didnt i buy one before the 06.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you call a truck that can't haul very much, WORTHLESS! case in point Honda Pilot.

even if the honda plop had a fully boxed frame, its still not a truck with that stupid 3.5 v-6.

here the advertise the honda truck event YEA FREAKIN RIGHT!!!!!

they include the honda plop, fall of the ridgeline, burning on the stove ELEMENT, and the i cant FIT in side.

THOSE ARE NOT TRUCKS, THEY ARE NOT EVEN VANS, JUST STUPID FREAKIN LITTLE CARS , PISSES ME OFF SO BAD:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even if the honda plop had a fully boxed frame, its still not a truck with that stupid 3.5 v-6.

here the advertise the honda truck event YEA FREAKIN RIGHT!!!!!

they include the honda plop, fall of the ridgeline, burning on the stove ELEMENT, and the i cant FIT in side.

THOSE ARE NOT TRUCKS, THEY ARE NOT EVEN VANS, JUST STUPID FREAKIN LITTLE CARS , PISSES ME OFF SO BAD:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

They are cars pretending to be trucks.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been telling myself that I will keep this truck for a long time, if I can keep it in good shape, because it's already perfectly what I want. We all know how that goes after time, but I swear if they go unibody on this thing this will be the last Tahoe I buy and this will NEVER be sold. Should something bad happen to it (knock on wood) then I will replace it with one just like it. I'm not kidding, I'll keep it and get a 2500 pickup next. Speaking of which, what would this mean for the 2500 Suburban and XL???

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They would have to either keep the 2500 XL/Suburban or drop it, because I doubt that 3/4 ton and unibody are ever gonna go well together.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford and Chrysler are looking at doing the same thing (Unibodied SUV's). I drove a full size gas or diesel pickup for nearly 20 years before switching to to the Tahoe, and it's really working for me. But if it goes unibody, I'll go back to a 2500 pickup. I drove an '08 Duramax/Silverado recently, and the thing almost felt like a big car. It made my erstwhile '02 Dodge Cummins feel like riding on a buckboard.