97 ho lazy steering.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been through the normal BS. Rag joints checked steering column position sensor changed, new Pittman atm and idler arm. Still real sloppy.

I'm trying to avoid spending cash I don't have on a new steering box.

Is it prudent or possible to swap in a cheaper zq8 box? Its a common swap in the typhoon but I'm not sure I want a quick ratio box for offroad.

Truck has around 150k on her. Any help greatly appreciated.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the steering is all moly links and heim jointed. So tie rod ends are out of the equation.
Idler nd pit man arm have less the 1k miles on um. I'm pretty sure its the steering gears.
I'd just like to know if anyone has gotten rid of the evo controlled steering box..

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the control arm bushings? Ball joints?

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used uniballs rather then ball joints so I didn't have to mess with them
No pitting on the ball body or damage to the Teflon seal.

Control arm bushings look good. plan on having custom control arm bushings fabbed up outof delren in the future.

Far as I can tell its gotta be the steering box. I just don't know how plausible a swap to a different box is.

If I did swap for a non speed sensitive box would it throw a cel code?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uniballs?

So when you turn the wheel back and forth there is a timeframe before the wheels start to move? I hear you can tighten the gearbox up somehow, I have never done it, but my steering is kinda sloppy, but my upper CA bushings are toast.....

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get about 3.5 inches of play from center in either direction in my steering wheel before the wheels turn. The shaft moves with the slightest adjustment of the wheel so its all in the steering box.
Tightening the box is just a bandaid.

Uniballs are nice. Used in offroadracing mostly. One piece chromoly ball and shaft that sits in a Teflon cup.
Stronger then ball joints and low maintenance. Just a squirt of silicone spray if they start to groan.

Only real time they wear out is when they pit from rust and stuff gets past the seal.
Most long travel kits run uniballs.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the pittman arm is not mirroring the input shaft of the box? Might pick up a rebuild kit for that box and rebuild it.....

Woodstock

Reaction score
A worn steering gear will cause lots of free play and sloppy steering. I just replaced mine and the pump and deleted the EVO valve on the pump using a pressure line from a 96 pre-EVO tahoe. What you get is full power to your steering ALL the time. reminds me of driving my grandfathers old Grand Monaco, floating that boat all over the road with a death grip on the wheel. Its so loose, I'm going back to the EVO system. Btw, the EVO system controls the pressure at the pump, not the box. It's basically just a needle valve that is controlled by the speed that the steering wheel turns. No turning=reduced power for more stabilty; quick turning=more pressure to steer easier in parking lots, etc.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update you guys on what ended up happening.

I had some issues with a seized wheel bearing blowing out my brakes on the freeway.
Ended up replacing my lift spindles, all 4 uniballs, all 4 hiem joints, entire brake system....
It was one hell of a bad situation.

But hopefully to help others ill leave this here. I bought an AGR super box 2 and AGR super pump. It took ALL slop and ALL wander out of my steering. My truck feels better than it did new. If you've got the same steering problems i started with i just suggest doing exactly what i did. Plus, the superbox 2 is damn near indestructable. I cant believe the difference.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the box and application guides. I recommend the super box 2, as it is a little less aggressive on the street.

http://www.agrperformance.com/Gearbox-AGR-Performance-MB-Motorsports.htm

I ordered my setup (being that im lifted and long traveled it just made sense to do the whole shabang) through jegs. Got the super pump and super box 2. Here is the jegs link.

http://www.jegs.com/v/AGR/012

I think after all was said and done i was 550 bucks in the hole, BUT it was worth EVERY penny. I can drive when its windy, i can steer on easy sloping curves without fear of death.

$373.99 for the super box 2 (which has a wide array of adjustability for the ratio) and
$173.99 for the pump. The pump was actually 10 bucks cheaper than a stock replacement i was looking at.

Yes its expensive, but the piece of mind i have while driving this truck now is unparalleled. I had a few occasions where i actually feared for my life in a curve when the truck decided it would rather A) go straight or B) turn right WAY harder than needed.

Plus both parts are damn near bulletproof and come with an awesome warranty.

SO if you've sunk 1200+ into suspension components only to find it still does the same old BS take this route. Even more so if you use your truck offroad quite a bit.

Grey2dr

Reaction score
Been looking at your fix, looks like a good setup, lots of good reviews on the AGR steering gear. Quick question, been reading up on it and trying to figure out if it is basically a like for like install, it looks like it is? Does the speed sensitive steering still work after the swap out?

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just your standard install with both the pump and gear box. And for the extra 12 bones I recommend the AN kit. You supply your own line but that's liked 30 bucks and you never have to worry about it again.

My truck had undergone a serious transformation as of late, 6.0 LS swap, billet converter, 4l80e swap, 4.56 real locker swap, speed density Dyno tune.... I'll post up some photos in the correct section but since this steering upgrade it drives like a dream. I had a a little accident which required some extra attention (New master cylinder, new lift spindles, new calipers)

I'll post the full build in the am. Let's just say I got an OBS hoe to run 0-60 in about 5 flat.

Updates tomorrow.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And yes. This irradicated the speed sensitive steering all together which couldn't have been more of a godsend. Why gm decided to do that is beyond me but good riddance to bad rubbish.

Grey2dr

Reaction score
Woodstock,
Did you ever make the switch back to EVO system? I am very close to rebuilding my front end, trying do decide what path to take. The supper box looks tempting, but I think rebuilding back to factory specs would likely work fine for my everyday driving.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. I'll never go back to that infernal evo system. The AGR stuff is working flawlessly and I no longer worry about driving into oncoming traffic. Haha