99 Hoe with horn problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soundguy1969

Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe. Horn does not work. Check both horns, check the fuse and replaced the relay. It appears to be between the steering wheel and fuse panel. I had a helper pressing the horn while I was probing for voltages with a DMM, and it did sound at one point, so I guess it is intermittent. Has anyone experienced this? If I tear into the steering wheel to look at the switch, what kind of problems will I have with the airbag?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post your results!!

I now have a hron problem too. I haven't checked into it much yet, but in my case, I pulled out the horn relay... then wiggled it back on... and the horn worked... but the next time i needed it (a few days later) the horn was dead again. I haven't checked voltage to the relay panel yet... but I plan to soon... as well as swap my horn relay.

Anyone else have this horm problem?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my horn problem is similar to Soundguy.

I got a new horn relay, and still nothing. My horn honks when the car is locked and also when the car alarm goes off... but not then hitting the steering wheel horn.

Anyone else have horn issues or fixes?

As for the airbag... you can disconnect it by taking the key out of the ignition (I've done several steering wheel swaps this way before)... or if you really want to be careful, then disconnect the battery.

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just unplug the battery and you won't have an airbag blow up in your face ;). It sounds like you have a bad connection in the wheel.

wilb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm experiencing the same issue w/my Denali. Weird- it didn't happen until the weather started getting colder. The same thing happened w/my Saab, which was virtually brand new. The horn just eventually started working again after not detecting a faulty fuse. I'm gonna remove/reinstall the horn relay on my Denali to see if this makes a differnce.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck...

MY horn also worked briefly once while detecing a non-faulty relay...
The next step is gonna be to take the steering wheel off and check the rotating ring.

My steering wheel used to make a scratching noise when rotating the steering wheel... that's when the horn worked... now the steering wheel is silent... and no horn... go figure.

Last edited:

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a bad ground, I reason this on the horn sounding once while being probed with the DMM. The meter may have actually provided a temparary ground as it initially measured resistance or voltage unless you have a high dollar one such as a Simpson, Fluke (my choice) or Bird.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for removing the airbag (to remove steering wheel)... I read that on our GM trucks, we just need to remove the ignition key... and pull the airbag fuse, and the airbag is safely de-activated. When finished, just reinsert the airbag fuse ( w/ the key out).
No need to disconnect the battery...

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the horn switch... just stretch the spring on there and it will get good contact again!~