ABS Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SClark44

Reaction score
Working on a 1999 Tahoe (older body style).I'm trying to figure out why my ABS light is on. I've checked the sensors using an Ohm meter and they seem to be working OK and also checked all the connections for corrosion. I wanted to try and retrieve the codes that are stored in the EBCM, but there is no ABS wire going to the OBDII connector under the dash that would allow me to use a jumper wire to get the ABS light to flash the codes stored in the system. Since I'm not the original owner of this Tahoe I thought maybe someone messed with things, so I checked to see if the wire exists on my 1998 GMC Sierra and it doesn't have the ABS diagnostic wire going to the OBDII connector either. How can I get these codes from these type of EBCM's???

Both trucks have Kelsey-Hayse 310 EBCM's

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, SClark44, I also have a `99, and the ABS system is something still on my list of items to review. I have the full 4-volume set of `99 service manuals, but, dagnabbit, I'm out-of-town, and can't look this up 'till later next week. I'll watch this thread, and if no answer is posted, I'll try to post something then...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a scantool capable of pulling ABS data from the data stream.......

SClark44

Reaction score
Found what was causing the light to come on. The connection that is underneath the EBCM and goes to the pump motor was corroded. Cleaned it up reconnected it and the light is now off. Never knew the damn thing was even there, DOOOH!!!:boxed:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate electrical gremlins....... Glad you gotter figured out!!!! :)

SClark44

Reaction score
Can you elaborate what the EBCM is and where it is located?

The EBCM (electronic brake control module), in short, monitors the impulses coming from the wheel sensors and controls the pump going to the ABS system telling it what to do. It is usually located on top of the left (drivers side) quarter panel in the engine compartment. It has a black plastic, T shaped, lid that says Kelsey Hayse on it.