ack! front tranny seal leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i took my 07 hoe in for the window washer heater module recall -- to get the new wiring harness.. while i was there i had them check my pressures, and as it would turn out my front transmission seal is leaking. i had noticed this between oil changes, wiped it last time (i have an oil change coming up this week) and sure enough the residue is back.

transmission itself i'm sure is ok (crossing fingers any how though) as the truck shifts in and out of park fine and shifts smoothly while driving.
however, thank god for the 100,000 mile power train warranty, as the hoe goes in monday morning to have the tranny pulled and seal replaced. as i said i doubt but do hope there's nothing else that pops up.. also getting my 50k torque converter flush..

this happen to anyone else? the service writer at the chevy dealer here said it's somewhat common.

dmargaros

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have a similar issue...keep getting little drips in the driveway...spots don't look black enough to be oil...looked underneath...and it appears as though it's coming from the transmission area (not that I really know what that is!) just about the area below the front passenger's left foot area. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine wasn't even dripping on in the driveway. very, very slow leak... yup, get that puppy warranteed!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it happened to me. Found a few drips in the garage. The dealer took care of it.

Landshark

Reaction score
Same here. Looks like it leaks where the engine and transmission bolt together. Dropping it off Monday to have it fixed.

catnhat fan

Reaction score
Just discovered mine leaking as well. I have had a lot of problems, thinking this may be the last one for me. Too bad, b/c I really love that vehicle.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen Metro273!
But its not to serious of a problem as long as you don't lose too much fluid!

dmargaros

Reaction score
Same here. Looks like it leaks where the engine and transmission bolt together. Dropping it off Monday to have it fixed.

Took mine into dealer yesterday and they "put it on the rack" to just check what exactly was leaking as to avoid any possible further damage. They diagnosed it pretty quickly...said no reason to worry about it...leaking very, very minimally...and ok to drive for weekend.

Diagnosis was exactly the same: it's leaking where the engine and transmission bolt together...it's a 2 day job to repair...I am dropping it off on Monday as well, and will be in a rental car while it's in the shop.

Last edited:

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got mine to the dealer this morning at 8am -- hoping they can get that done with a torque flush, and have my vehicle back tonight!

jmitchell

Reaction score
In talking to our service department, this is a very common issue with most Tahoe, Silverado, Yukon, Sierra, etc. for the last 10 years or so. You would think they would have this figured out by now at the plants, but guess not. Mine had the same problem about 10K miles ago. Easy fix, done in a couple of hours.

Landshark

Reaction score
Dropped the Yukon off this morning to have the leak fixed. Estimated to take 2 or 3 days. In the meantime I'm driving the crap out of an Acadia. That thing is pretty fun in the curves.