ACTUAL Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIHLON

Reaction score
I'm about to sell my 06 F150 Supercrew and buy a new Tahoe because I need more room for my girls on road trips and such. My truck gets 15mpg hwy and I know the new Tahoes with the 5.3 are supposed to get 20mpg. Does anyone actually get 20mpg or more with the 5.3? I did a search on here and looked for awhile but didn't really find what I was looking for. If I can't get better mileage then I get now I probably won't even bother. Thanks.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your getting 15 now....then don't bother. You can get 20 mpg if you drive with no hills at 55 mph with the air off. Your gonna get people all over the board with there mileage because of all the variables.....but a good medium mileage people are getting is probably like 14-17 mpg on average.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I barely get about 16MPG on my 08 and I do 90% highway driving. I wouldn't expect to have 20MPG on that especially going mostly on road trips. You'll probably get 14-17 like AZSTACO said. Don't expect better.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have finally hit 20 (100% highway), but it took some mods to get there...

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife commutes about 70 miles each day in light traffic and generally sets her cruise control at 65MPH and leaves it alone, she consistently gets 20-21 mpg (actual checked against the miles traveled vs. fuel burned).

When I have used it for long trips at about 80-85MPH I normally get 17-18mpg and about 16mpg commuting 50/50 highway.

07 Tahoe LT 5.3L w/4.10 gears on 85/87 octane pump gas.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't actually own one yet, but I've heard from others that own a tahoe and yukon that it's not uncommon to get 20mpg when traveling at a constant speed of 70mph.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 12 city and 18 hwy on e10 with 3.42 gears on a 4x2.

With a moderate headwind hwy drops to 16 easily.

A J

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles Downtown. Heavy local traffic most of the time. Stop and go every 2 - 3 blocks. I get about 12 - 13 mpg local and I don't have a lead foot.

In freeways where I am (2 and 210, lots of up and downhills), I get about 17 mpg. Otherwise, I get over 20 mpg in highways. It's not uncommon for Tahoes to get over 20 mpg in highways. Surprisingly, my Hoe actually does better than my old Acura MDX or BMW X5 in highways.

simur79

Reaction score
i have an 08 tahoe and calculated on or about 23 mpg highway,with my landcruiser i get 8 mpg. hope this helps

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 08 tahoe and calculated on or about 23 mpg highway,with my landcruiser i get 8 mpg. hope this helps

You get 8mpg? I didn't know landcruisers are that bad. I thought they are about the same as Sequoias? (did i spell "Sequoia" correctly?)

What year is your landcruiser?

randyfaz

Reaction score
I'm about to sell my 06 F150 Supercrew and buy a new Tahoe because I need more room for my girls on road trips and such. My truck gets 15mpg hwy and I know the new Tahoes with the 5.3 are supposed to get 20mpg. Does anyone actually get 20mpg or more with the 5.3? I did a search on here and looked for awhile but didn't really find what I was looking for. If I can't get better mileage then I get now I probably won't even bother. Thanks.
I have an 07 Tahoe with the 5.3. Around town driving I get 12-14 at best. I'm not a light foot drive. I've made 2 round trips to Cincinnati from Chicago. When I'm on cruise at 55-65 I was getting 18. When I got ti I65 and the speed was 70 I set the cruise at 78 and the fuel dropped to 16.5.

BDennis

Reaction score
I get almost 17 around the city with my 5.3 and on my last two road trips the computer says 22 for highway. I dont know how accurate the computer is but I got my city mileage from 3 or 4 tanks never touching the highway. I accelerate very slow and drive slower than pretty much everyone on the road which is why I get a lot of dirty looks.

DIHLON

Reaction score
I picked up a brand new '08 LT with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears from the dealership for a test drive for overnight. According to the computer, on the highway I was getting between 17 to 20 mpg. I don't know how accurate those are but it looked pretty good to me. Also, a post on here I read was right. The only time it switched to 4 cylinders was when I was going on the downside of an overpass or when I was slowing down and completely off the throttle. It drives great. If I can now get what I want for my truck, I might have to pull the trigger on one of these badboys.

w84no1

Reaction score
I traded a 2000 Silverado Xtended cab for my 2007 Tahoe and get about the same mpg, but I would do it all over again in a minute. I love my Tahoe!!!

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife commutes about 70 miles each day in light traffic and generally sets her cruise control at 65MPH and leaves it alone, she consistently gets 20-21 mpg (actual checked against the miles traveled vs. fuel burned).

When I have used it for long trips at about 80-85MPH I normally get 17-18mpg and about 16mpg commuting 50/50 highway.

07 Tahoe LT 5.3L w/4.10 gears on 85/87 octane pump gas.

I agree.. I've got as high as 22 mpg in the winter without the AC running on the highway.. In the summer months I get around 20 to 21 highway and 14 to 15 in town. I'm in real in town traffic, redlights about every 1/2 mile. My buddy that has a 08 is getting about 20 to 21 MPG running 70 MPH on the highway. My old 98 Tahoe got about 15 mpg in town and the best it got on the highway was 18 mpg

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Z71 Tahoe 4x4 with 4.10 FD. Based on some threads, it seems like the 4.10 FD gets better mileage :confused:. Not sure though, I can get into V4 mode easily but you would think with the 4.10 FD the revs would be higher...

City w/ stop and go traffic ~16 mpg.

Highway @>70 mph ~17 to 19 mpg. If speed is reduced to 65 mpg I can easily achieve 20-22 mpg (flat road with no head wind). Of course these are optimal numbers. A recent trip from Idaho to Vegas ~440 miles used ~24 gallons (18 mpg going 70 to 80 mph, relatively flat, AC on, and truck was packed [rear end low]).

Hope this helps.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good tip for improved gas mileage is to not use gas that has more than 10% ethanol.

I recently discovered this by accident, and my gas mileage improved 2-3 MPG.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife averages 16 city & 19 highway. We have an 08 Yukon, with the 5.3, 2-wheel drive, with the 3.42 locking rear. Our vehicle is 6 months old and I guess really just getting broke-in good at 5,000 miles. My wife is not easy on vehicles, she mashes the go pedal.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles Downtown. Heavy local traffic most of the time. Stop and go every 2 - 3 blocks. I get about 12 - 13 mpg local and I don't have a lead foot.

In freeways where I am (2 and 210, lots of up and downhills), I get about 17 mpg. Otherwise, I get over 20 mpg in highways. It's not uncommon for Tahoes to get over 20 mpg in highways. Surprisingly, my Hoe actually does better than my old Acura MDX or BMW X5 in highways.

I'm in the sleepy (flat plains) of Bloomington, IL. No matter what, I can never seem to get more than 12 in the city, even keeping shifts at 2,000 rpms.

Even with the more stringent 2008 EPA mileage guidelines, I am still 2-3mpgs off sticker for both city and highway. Too bad I can't lemon it for that. Oh well. Didn't buy her for the fuel savings :lol:

A J