Alarm Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy_goldberg

Reaction score
I bought a used 2006 Tahoe. When I first got it the alarm would chirp when turned off or turned on. Now when I hit the button on the key fob, the alarm does not chirp but it does enable the alarm. I know the horn works because if I double lock the car or hit the panic button, the alarm sounds.

I found a alarm module mounted under the steering column with a button added to the dash but don't know what it does since pushing the button does nothing that I can tell. Also there is an LED that loos to have been added to the dash.

I guess my first question is, how can I find out if it is a OEM alarm or aftermarket? Second is there a sequence to get the chirp back. Third is there a way to change the option for the alarm to go off if I lock the doors twice?

Thanks for the help.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A chirp is not factory unless you are talking about a short horn burst. The double lock is factory and that honks the horn.

The extra button and dash light sound aftermarket also. Are the wires going to the module under the column all split loomed and do they look like everything else under there? Aftermarket installs are typically pretty easy to spot. If it is in fact after market, there may be what is called a valet switch under there also. This is to disable the system in the event you are going to have a valet or someone else uses your vehicle, this is typically a small toggle.

Why in the world would you want the alarm to go off if you locked the doors twice?

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The system you're describing is aftermarket and sounds like it may be in valet mode. It may be an older system, as most of the newer systems have switched over to toggles rather than the push button style like you have. Depending on the brand and model, there are a couple different ways to put the system in/out of valet mode. First try putting the key in the ignition position, then press the overirde button(the black button under the dash), then turn off the ignition.
You can also try putting the key in the ignition position, turn it off, then press the override button if the first procedure doesn't work.
If the LED is lit solid, that usually means it is in valet mode (unless it's an older Clifford model, then it means it's ready to arm once the last door is shut). While in valet mode, the system will lock/unlock the doors, but overrides the triggers and siren output. In other words, it basically works like a simple keyless entry system while in this mode.

andy_goldberg

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately neither worked. I did open the dash to find the module to get the make and model number. The module says GM accessories but has no model number. I am unable to find any information about this module online. Any other ideas?