Allison w/ a 5.3???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone upgrade their 5.3 Tahoe or Yukon to an Allison 6speed? I figure this would be a kick as mod for performance and fuel econ.

Just wondering if it is possible and if anyone has ever done it? I know you can upgrade some things during warranty work.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. You think they would let you do that, you mean like if your tranny went out you could pay for the upgrade? I would...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its alot more than just a "Swap" if they would even mesh up toghther. Theres Re Programming, re seating, re learning of all differents sorts of computers and crap. Plus im not even sure the allsion would even fit in the same spot as the 4l60E. It would be much easier to just swap out for a 4L80E. I hear the 6.0 2500s use a 6 speed. I think that would be an easier fit than trying to fit a diesel tranny on a gas engine. Good luck and let us know what you do as the 4L60E is the worst tranny ever IMO.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, you're right, I think I heard the Allison won't fit in the tunnel, and that on HD's the frame and body are spaced because of that. And I do doubt that the bellhousing and input shaft would work out. I'd love to have an Allison but I'm thinking maybe this same idea but with the now production 6L80E... it too can handle a lot of power and you know they have all the right parts for it. Do you think they practice doing something like this?