Am I getting hustled by dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your taking this all to seriously and personal. Smaller shops don't have the overhead, nor pay that most dealerships have. Sure, you have some theifs in it, both dealership and independant. I'm bad mouthing anyone that takes advantange, of unsuspecting consumers, dealer, or independant.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But none of you guys mention independents when it comes to taking customers. Its always the dealer that gets badmouthed. See, i work for a dealer and have been since getting in the trade for 8 years now. Alot of people bad mouth dealers and dont ever praise them for fixing intermittent problems on there cars, or that problem they had that no one else could fix. I see what you guys are saying that it cost a lot of money to have your car "REPAIRED", and most of the time tehy can fix there own cars. But there are some people out there that dont like, not comfortable, or dont have the time to work on the cars. My shop foreman pays a dealer to work on his daily driver cause he dont have time to. So im sticking up for the dealers and the people who work for them, cause not all dealer techs or shady

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I concur with you. But you have to understand what a few bad apples tend to do. That statement does not only pertain to dealerships either.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some have good experiences with them, and some don't. I don't think you'll change their thoughts on dealers. I have had both good and bad...but when they do try to milk consumers for 'extras', I don't like that. But when i take mine in, it get's fixed and I am pleased, I have a good experience.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Matt, as I read your post, it seems to me that you are a bit offended by some of the posts in this topic. I understand your sense of conviction, as I have been there and done that.

I do not want you to think I am trying to further offend you, as that is not my game.

We all here are trying to get our points across. Reading words, everyone interprets differently, has an effect on people.

Just understand we are not, well at least I am not, coming down on you or trying to make you feel as such.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not really been offended, it just gets real old when people ask on the forum what others opinion is on what the dealer said, and its like a big dealer bashing, even though you all agree with what they said or recomended. There is never anyone that says anything bad about independents, just dealers. Polecat stated that he had good expeirences with dealers, but yet you feel to talk bad about them. That dont make sense. If you can state some "extras that people dont need" then please say them. The extras that the person who started the post were good services to perform at a good mileage. Maybe the service advisor should have tried to sell it before he got the repairs done and not afterwards.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, don't do it. Most can be done by yourself.
If the TB is dirty, get some Chemtool, take off factory tube and clean it. Took me all of 10 minutes.
Brake fluid, 28,000 miles, I would bet your OK.
Be leary when they 'look for other items'...usually means they have nothing to do, but want to squeeze every cent out of you.

Remember, where did the phrase "want some fries with that" start... :)

how bout the "squeeze every cent out of you

BOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my .02

I'm not someone who works on my cars anymore, I just don't have the time unfortunately coz I used to love doing it. Now - I will often take my car into the dealership for a maintenance item and ask them to inspect the car as well. I review those recommendations with the technician and make my own judgement on whether I can get the part/labor cheaper and end up taking it to an independent. You're typically going to find dealer recommending what you need regardless if it's too soon or not. They specialize in your type of vehicle, so if there's a problem they will typically have seen something similiar if not exact before. By that, they are great IMO at diagnosing issues and known issues. Their prices are often high IMHO - especially for parts so I make an executive decision on those pieces and move on!

BOSS

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the silverado's fluids changed. Same thing, they reccommended it. Fuel injection service, trans axle, rear dif. Etc. And new 02 sensors, why my truck through a code for check engine. Total for everything was 400 bucks. They didnt charge me for the fluids and other service cause they made a couple mistakes about a cabin air filter. Since 03 and up dont have any. LOL

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my .02

I'm not someone who works on my cars anymore, I just don't have the time unfortunately coz I used to love doing it. Now - I will often take my car into the dealership for a maintenance item and ask them to inspect the car as well. I review those recommendations with the technician and make my own judgement on whether I can get the part/labor cheaper and end up taking it to an independent. You're typically going to find dealer recommending what you need regardless if it's too soon or not. They specialize in your type of vehicle, so if there's a problem they will typically have seen something similiar if not exact before. By that, they are great IMO at diagnosing issues and known issues. Their prices are often high IMHO - especially for parts so I make an executive decision on those pieces and move on!

BOSS

Thank you. Dealers do not force people to buy what they recomend. Its all up to you.

hobetahoe

Reaction score
They don't force you, but you better do it...

This thread is really amazing.

1. No one said dealers force you to do anything.
2. No one said all dealers are crooks.
3. No one said all their recommedations are bogus.
4. No one said dealers don't provide a needed service in many occasions.
5. No one said that some independents aren't doing the same thing.

So that being said, for all you guys who work at a dealer and got their feelings hurt by my observations and those of others....chill out.

My SPECIFIC complaint and continuing observation is that is a crime how SOME dealers service departments hustle customers for unneeded service.

Now, is that finally clear?

With the car business in turmoil now, I guarantee that there have been meetings at the dealers stressing the importance of upselling at the service desk. Add to this the fact that service writers get paid commissions for additional services that they sell and you have the perfect recipe for pushing services or parts that are not really needed.

Now is that clear to everyone? Can the cry babies please go back to the bay and change some oil or windshield wipers for someone who doesn't really need it yet on the instructions of the service writer.

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my .02

BOSS
I have also had good luck with my dealer.

BOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the car business in turmoil now, I guarantee that there have been meetings at the dealers stressing the importance of upselling

Absolutely - I agree 100%. It's their business afterall isn't it? ;-)

Now is that clear to everyone? Can the cry babies please go back to the bay and change some oil or windshield wipers for someone who doesn't really need it yet on the instructions of the service writer.

Chill man, we all have opinions based on experience. That's the value that's brought to these threads.

BOSS

BOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've DEFINITELY felt like I was being charged too much at a dealer on occasion, that's a fact nobody can deny on this board. It's all about the individual - who is running the shop (dealer or private) and what agenda are they pushing.

BOSS

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Whats funny is that i actually gave you my professional opinion because you asked for a opinion. My comments were not towards you, but to the others that were knockin down dealers. If i read your posting right, you asked if these services were actaully good services, and you diddnt crack down on the dealer. You said that they are "dreaming up" services, but yet the services that were recomended were all good services that pretty much every body on here was recomending. Now i am going to continue to "cry ", and by the way, i never left the bay, i've been here the whole time. And i will continue to "chagne oil and repalce wipers", and make a pretty good living at it. And you will go ahead and pay people like me to do this for you.

Mr. Eryozgatliyan

Reaction score
I think I need to do the FI cleaning on my car as a matter of fact. Thank you for reminding me :)

Think just the fuel system treatment and spray some intake cleaner into the intake will do it? or am I missing something?

Thank s