amp install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys i ordered my amp and subs today with i think all the wiring and such that i need to install it. and i started building my box today. now the only thing i dont know how to do is hook up my amp to my head unit. is there a wiring harness kit i need or is there a wire i can splice into?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your amp has speaker level inputs you can use that. Otherwise use this harness from jpcustoms. I'd recommend the latter for better sound quality. Let us know how it goes and post pics of the install!

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work in finding that interface and it's cheap too. Anybody running one one of these? I am wanting to ditch the stock speakers and amp and step up to something that sounds good.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet just ordered it! i definitly will get some pics of my install once i get all the stuff in.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys my interface just got in and my subs/amp and all that good stuff should be here tomorrow. now im going to try and install the interface tonigt so i have a better chance of getting it all installed tomorrow...now where exactly do i plug this into? is it under cupholders in the centerconcole or do i need to pull the headunit/dash apart?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I haven't actually done it myself, my understanding is that you need to do the following:
1. Pop off the trim pieces around the stereo (flat-head will work)
2. Unscrew the stereo
3. Plug the interface in between the stereo and the plug that is in it currently.
4. Reassemble

Keep us posted and pics would be great!

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i did some searching around and ended up figuring exactly what you said. so now im just waiting for all my stuff to come in tomorrow.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got everything all hooked up! sounds great too! sorry no pics yet but will get some in the morning

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent, please post pics when you get a chance, and let us know what components you chose!

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry it took so long to get these pics up guys

299059271.jpg

299059266.jpg

299059261.jpg

299059256.jpg

K2Tahoe

Reaction score
Which JL's are those? 1000W amp? Do you have the bose system?

EZYESS57

Reaction score
How much vibration to the rear glass and lift gate panels do you get with the rear firing box? I was looking at one of the premanufactured fiberglass enclosure that fit in that space but couldn't help but think that being so close to the rear would cause some terrible sounding rattles! BTW very clean install.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 jl 13w3v3s rated at 400watts each, and this is with the bose system.

the rear lift gates does rattle a good bit, which has actually had me thinking about a new box with them firing forward, its not much of the gate itself but the wiper and license plate.