AMS & Royal Purple Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
I just recently got my oil changed at the local Jiffy Lube, and the manager told me about these two brands of oil I had never of, AMS & Royal Purple. He said these two brands are great synthetic oil's to put in your vehicle. Supposedly, they last thousands of miles longer then other high quality oil(so he says!). Anybody heard of these brands, or currently use them in their vehicle???

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple is a well know brand in the racing world, and "Amsoil" as well. I have a Harley V-rod and all the Vrod crazies love their Amsoil. I plan on running Royal Purple in my supercharged 6.0L.

02tacoe

Reaction score
I am using royal purple 5W-30 in the ho's heart and 75-90 weight in the rear axle.Also running royal purple in my 04 R6 and i really like them in both toys

MikeyAces

Reaction score
running Amsoil in the motor and trans. There top end motor oil (signature series). I use amsoil in all my toys and swear by it, but have not noticed to much of a diff in the truck.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run RP in the crankcase of all my rides, I'd like to run it in the diffs as well.

Here's what a friend sent me who has looked into it more than I have.

Royal Purple recommends following the manufacturer’s maintenance intervals while the vehicle is under factory warranty. In clean engines that are no longer under warranty, oil change intervals may be extended up to every 12,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first. Oil filter changes should be done as recommended by the filter's manufacturer and oil should be topped off as needed.

In dirty engines, Royal Purple recommends the standard 3,000 to 5,000 mile oil and filter change interval until the engine oiling system is clean and free of deposits left by lower quality oils and / or poor maintenance or mechanical problems. This will allow time to gradually remove existing deposits without overloading the oiling system. Mechanical problems such as fuel dilution, coolant leaks into the crankcase, poor air filtration and / or failure to maintain proper oil level are all detrimental factors to the service life of any engine oil. Any one of these factors can significantly shorten the useful service life of any oil.

The synth oils lubricate better than dino oils and because you can run them longer, in the long run they are less expensive than the dino oil. RP has a pretty informative web site if you want to spend some time on it.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched to RP right when i got my hoe last summer because i heard a lot of good things from this forum as well as other places i read up on. I changed that oil after only about 3000 miles because i read up on RP and they claim to tear away deposits left by old oil. I plan on waiting about 6000 to 8000 miles till my next change, but im not sure, it all depends on what my oil looks like. As it stands, my oil looks great with a couple thousand miles on it already.

I also use a K&N oil filter, this might be overkill but here is how i feel about it. If I am going to spend the extra $$ on overkill oil, why use a shoddy filter? Also, i dont want to change my filter every 3,000 miles, at which point i think i would be breaking even on the price of a filter. Not to mention the K&N is stupid easy to get off because it has the hex nut on the top of the filter which makes for a much more pleasant oil changing experience.