Annoying Horn Chirps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dogwood02

Reaction score
There's probably nothing that can be done about this but I find it annoying that when I get out of the car for any reason and leave the engine running and close the door the horn chirps three times. When I take the garbage cans out it happens once when I close the driver's door and again when I close the lift gate. I've tried the find a solution to eliminate this annoyance but have failed. Anybody out there know how to outsmart the gremlins short of turning the engine off?

Last edited:

Tobh415

Reaction score
I'm not sure why but when I get in the car and go to start it, My horn chirps twice. I was also trying to find a way to disable it.

Dogwood02

Reaction score
Your Horn Chirps on Start

I thought if I delayed a bit someone more experienced would come up with a knowledgeable reply. All I can say is mine doesn't do what yours does. But next time I fire the beast up I'll run through the "Vehicle" settings and see what I can find - for both of our sakes. I've done it before trying to solve my problem but this time I'll look trying for a solution for yours, too.

Another conclusion I've come to is that the Mylink Infotainment System can only hold one, single, solitary disk since I cannot find out what the disk capacity is anywhere. My Jurassic Trailblazer held six!

Luhu

Reaction score
I think that is the alert telling you that you left the fob in the vehicle. Mine does it too. I think it can be turned off in settings.

Dogwood02

Reaction score
Three Chirps with engine running /doors closed

Nope. FOB is in pocket. Problem is as previously described. When I close the driver's door the horn chirps 3X and again when I close the lift gate. I know about the chirping with the FOB inside the car.

greg_tahoe2015

Reaction score
Nope. FOB is in pocket. Problem is as previously described. When I close the driver's door the horn chirps 3X and again when I close the lift gate. I know about the chirping with the FOB inside the car.

It chirps because the car is running but the FOB is missing from inside. It is almost like someone pulling out the keys from the starter while it is running (only it is a keyless remote)

Last edited:

setme31

Reaction score
My Tahoe will chirp 3x if I leave the FOB in the car and close the door or if I have it running and take the FOB out of the car.

Dogwood02

Reaction score
Replying to Greg_Tahoe2015

What you said rang a bell and made sense to me until I remembered that the horn chirped when I was still within 1.5 meters. In that case wouldn't the car think the key FOB was still inside? Another way of asking that is, "How would the car know whether the key FOB was inside or outside the car? I could simulate that by opening and closing the door with the engine running while sitting in the seat. I'll write a letter to GM. If I get an answer I'll publish it here. Thanks to all.

setme31

Reaction score
It's that smart. It knows when it is outside of the vehicle. You could be leaning on the door and it would still know you were outside. In fact you could be sitting in the driver's seat, roll down the window and put your hand out the window (with the remote in your hand). When you close the door, the horn will chirp.

Dogwood02

Reaction score
OK. Understood. Can't do nothing about it except shut it down to avoid the chirps. The GM engineers are smarter than the consumers or they never asked me how I would have arranged things.

Maybe if they had they would have not had the seat position recall activate until AFTER I sat down and pushed the START switch. That way the seat and the steering wheel would be out of the way until I was in position. But that's the subject of another thread.

Cheers and happy trails.

Dogwood 02

Dogwood02

Reaction score
OK. Problem solved. All that has to be done to avoid the annoying horn chirps is to take the key FOB out of your pocket and leave it in the vehicle.