Anyone ever use VHT wheel paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VHT makes a clear coat wheel paint. I'm thinking it might be just what I need to clear coat those aluminum rims after all the time I put into them to shine them up. Has anyone ever used the product?

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wonder about the paint curing. It's cold out so I'd need to paint them in the laundry room. I guess drying at room temp would be okay, but I wonder if it would be better if they had just a little heat. I also wonder if they'll corrode any over the winter sitting in my garage if they aren't protected. I think I'll wax each one with some car wax as I finish them then throw them in my garage till spring. When the weather warms up I'll hit them again with some aluminum polish to remove the wax then wash with soap and water to remove any polish residue. Then I can leave them in the sun to warm, but not get too hot, before painting with the VHT clear coat.

Sound like a plan?

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like a good plan. I assume you won't have these on for the winter at all? If you're going to store them, then yeah wax and put a note on them saying, "Do Not Touch Til Spring." Better to do them right the 1st time, than fixing your rushed job.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they won't be mounted till spring. It's a slow process starting with 150 grit wet dry working up to 2000 then steel wool and polish. The results are nice but it's slow. I figure I have all winter to work at it. One down, three to go. I've got pics on this post. http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=11078&page=2 Be sure to look at the second page.

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only imagine the elbow grease that goes into restoring these wheels. Good job man. They kinda look like the wheels on a 2000 Z71 Tahoe. Either way, can't beat it especially since you got them for cheap.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only imagine the elbow grease that goes into restoring these wheels. Good job man. They kinda look like the wheels on a 2000 Z71 Tahoe. Either way, can't beat it especially since you got them for cheap.

Thanks. Yeah, believe me, I'm earning those "free" rims, but that's okay, I've got all winter to polish and no wheel budget.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, PM CSRMarc

He's a member here on the forum. Ask him what he'd do. He used to (and may still) repair car/truck rims for a living. I've seen his work, and it's pretty good.

BH

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pm'd CSRMarc, he ahd some good feedback so I figured he wouldn't mind if I posted it here.

Nice job on the wheels, they look great! I know polishing is definately a tough task with a lot of elbow grease and hard work.
But the best thing you can do is just keep them clean as much as you can. Then when you notice them getting to dull for your liking, throw some Mothers or Excites polish on them.
I had an S-10 with wheels I polished and just kept them clean.

Here's why Brandon, any clear you use IF you get it to lay down right without any fisheyes, will peel and flake in a matter of no time.
Reason being is just like with paint, the clear has to have something to grab onto. And since polished wheels are smooth, nothing to grab onto.

I see factory Honda wheels that are machined, which is bare aluminum cut with a lathe, well they are just cleared and I see them all the time peeling, flaking, & corroding from under the clearcoat.
Once this happens, well you can imagine the time stripping, sanding, and polishing again.

The best stuff I've come across is excites polish
http://www.excites.cc/index.cfm?webid=21&pid=37&cid=1

Another good place to get polishing info is here
http://forum.eastwoodco.com/[COLOR="black"][/COLOR]

Anyway I hope this helps, I know it's probably not what you wanting to hear but IMO is the best route to go.
The only other thing I can think of is to get them powder coated clear. Clear powdercoat with dull the finish though, aswell as if you ever curb a wheel you can again image the headache.

Polished wheels without clears is nice because if you ever do curb check them, just grind, sand, buff & polish. Easy fix.