Are Turtle Wax products any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dancox07

Reaction score
Just retired and have time to play with my old work Tahoe. I am Curious, have Turtle Wax products gone to hell in the last couple decades. I've not been happy with some items I have bought lately.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just retired and have time to play with my old work Tahoe. I am Curious, have Turtle Wax products gone to hell in the last couple decades. I've not been happy with some items I have bought lately.

Depends what specific products you are speaking of within the Turtle Wax line?

I would suspect any turtle wax, or any other wally world regular run of the mill off the shelf wax will probably be better than no wax at all, but in truth, is that saying much?

That if a wax-paint protectant product is gone after a couple weeks, or after a couple of washes, then what good is it? Such is actually a waste of time, a waste of money, and one then accomplishes little.

Most every rubber, or vinyl protectant off the shelves are usually both loaded with Petro Solvents, and Silicone. Both can usually do more harm than good to both vinyl, and rubber. Products such as Armor All, and all others like it comes to mind.

Mothers seem to make some decent products, they have a vast line, and as well Meguiars.

There's truly a lot of cutting edge, long lasting products available today, which may sound initially expensive, but in truth are actually economical in the long run. And the other is of course, how much worth-value do you, or others place in an investment such as a car-truck-suv-etc?

Companies such as CarPro, and many others, some house brands from the likes of Palm Beach Motoring Group in Stuart Fla. (Pinnacle-Wolfgang-Detailer's Pro) come to mind quickly.

It's certainly more cost effective, and less work on the old back, using paint protectant products which not only last months, but years to protect.

And rubber and vinyl protectants-restorers which last many months on end, not days, or weeks.

I have many of the above products from these companies-manufacturers I list, and there's absolutely no doubt, you'd never be thinking about turtle wax, or other products like Armor All again.

Two websites I highly recommend researching are Autogeek.com, and Autopia.com. They are sister companies, which sell virtually every car care product, and tool known to man.

Plus both have great forums, lots of excellent members, and good trades of cutting edge info, and how to's.
Mark

scooty

Reaction score
As someone that my friends call obsessed with detailing my black Tahoe...I try all kinds of waxes and cleaners. I always tend to go back to Maguires products (in the tan bottles usually found in the body repair section in the auto parts stores).The numbers on the bottles lead you through what degree of detailing you need. Just my opinion.

DaveL

Reaction score
Hey Dancox07,

I'm an old guy that can answer your question...It may not be that Turtle Wax products have went to hell in a handbag altogether...The finishes on our Tahoes today are a little more high tech than when we were using TW on our rides back in the day..I'm speaking of 1 stage enamels and such...now we are working on 2-3 and even 4 stage stuff that requires a little more finesse...and the end result will show!

I was a detailer that was schooled by some of the best nearly 30 years ago...then marriage and life sent me in other directions of employment...

Now days I'm semi-retired due to disabilities...so again I have time to good detail work on my 2000 Tahoe Limited (SS)..Black...and I found out that Liquid Ebony had gone by the wayside!

I talked with a young man that details in Knoxville,Tn. in great length and detail and found out that detail products have changed quite a bit in the time I've been away from the business.

The stuff I'm using on my Big Black Hoe is from 3D Products (Not 3m)...and it's great!

Ease of application and a fantastic result...every time.

You can contact David Fremani on facebook if this interests you...I stand by it for all of my needs on my vehicles.

I still have an old rotary polisher that runs 0-5000 rpms from back in the day and you had to really learn to work those so you didn't burn or swirl the the paint job...But now you can go to Harbour Frieght and get a DA Polisher for 59.00 that does really great work...you don't have to spend 300.00 on a polisher now.

Attachments

• IMG006.jpg
    IMG006.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG005.jpg
    IMG005.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: