Barn door sheet metal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sadsack2

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get sheet metal panels for rear barn doors? My drives side is starting to rot out along the bottom, only bad spot on whole truck. Other spots previous owner already welded, bad bondo job but I can fix that;). Any way any help would be good. Prob have to hit the salvage yards tho.

sadsack2

Reaction score
Thanks Lester! I went on their site must not have been going to the right link.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your welcome, I gotta get a cab corner and a door bottom myself one of these days....

gary350

Reaction score
Go to any steel supply company in your area.

What is barn door steel?

You can buy several types of steel in any thickness, any width, any length.

If you want something to keep out rain buy something thin like .040" steel in several widths 4, 5, 6, feet wide is common. You can buy several widths 8, 10, 12, 14, etc up to 60 feet in flat sheets. You can buy coil stock in 2000 foot rolls.

Call O'Neal Steal http://www.onealsteel.com/

sadsack2

Reaction score
I was looking for the already shaped door skins, I've had to shape steel by hand before. I'll probably fiberglass and bondo the hole until I can afford the new panel and have it done right. But that'll at least stop the rust from progressing further. Appreciate the link though, never know when you might need some sheet metal.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rust wont stop with bondo...... You have to cut the rust out to stop it....

Gary, as far as "barn door" we are referring to the style of door (like found on the rear of a fullsize van), these 'hoes dont have the hatch style rear doors......

sadsack2

Reaction score
Yeah I should have been more specific, i'm going cut the rusty spot out. Then i'm going to use one of those bondo self adhering pads mounted inside the door so I can shape it to match the body contours on the bottom lip of the door. Then i'm going to put the fiberglass over that to fill in the area then put my bondo on. I'm just trying to plug a bigass hole as nicely as possible until I can get the panel for it and do it right. If you don't think that'll hold up long let me know, had to do something like this for my 88 Camaro on passenger door.

I do love the input here much better than the Impala forum i'm on.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds much better to me.... Thought you were just gonna pack the rusty hole with bondo...... Altho before I went thru all that trouble, I think I would just buy the panel and install it..... IMHO.... :) Good luck.