Best plug wires / cap / rotor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDWX

Reaction score
Have used AC Delco and MSD for years, seem fine on my other vehicles.

My 97 Yukon goes through them once a year....

Any advice on higher quality parts? Are there higher quality? I'm sick of this once a year stuff with this vehicle.

JDWX

Reaction score
Ahh, gotchya... Thanks.

Never really thought of a bad ground (or other connection) causing premature failure of the plug wires... That's an interesting concept.

DJTricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is, when i did the big 3, i used all 0/1 gauge wire, and i did it to all 4 battery's, i managed to pick up a couple horse's after.

JDWX

Reaction score
I don't have anything on the Yukon stereo-wise. It's totally stock. But, I should look over the engine grounding for sure. Didn't really come to mind.

But, I have a seriously overblown electrical setup on my Mustang like they describe with extra grounds and all 00welding cable for battery and engine ground connections. No plug wire issues with that vehicle, haha...

JDWX

Reaction score
Autozone would carry it, but it wouldn't be an upgrade. Not really "positive" that it would be even better than OEM, might be worse.

I would look to a local battery shop and see if they'll make cables for you. I did that and they used heavy gauge welding cable for them, I forget what size it is. Was not that expensive really. Worth it just in reliabilty.

ALSO... Just to mention, I actually fixed my issue. I went into a frenzy and started checking everything. Turns out, my distributor shaft gear was worn and knife edged. It was working, but if the plugs/cap/wires got even slightly out of sorts, it raised its head, scattered spark and would miss/jerk sometimes at highway speed.

Recently it had started missing all the time at cruising speeds and I had to fix or park it. Pulled distributor and the gear was visibly worn. Installed new distributor, it now runs like a champ. Wow, renewed power, livelyness, and MUCH better gas mileage. And, best of all, no more random misfire codes.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but if your dist. gear was that worn, your cam is shot. The gear on the camshaft is going to eat your new gear up in a short amount of time. I've seen this happen a few times on these engines and it has always been a warped distributor that caused it. Stupid plastic distributors.