Best sparkplugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta take the current plugs off and check their conditions, but I bought this truck @118k miles, highly likely that the sparkplugs are the factory stock ones

Question is, if they do need replacing, what are the best plugs to go with?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@118k replace them for shure. AcDelco Platinums or Irridiums would be my suggestion. I run NGK's in alot of my GM stuff as they are cheaper and I would rather have the AcDelco Irridiums, but buget concerns keep me on something cheaper.....

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there really that big of a difference in the higher plugs?

Reason I ask is because there is a significant price gap

AC Delco conventional, $2 each
AC Delco professional iridium $4.87 each
AC Delco professional platinum $5.94 each

Like yourself, I am generally on a budget, so it is really tempting to go with the conventional plugs at less than half the cost each

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the day when these trucks were made, I don't even think Iridium were on the scene yet, or were just starting to come onto the scene being available.

I'd say if you're keeping the truck, don't skimp, but don't get fancy with Bosch plus 4's, or any other crap like that, go with the stock Delco Platinums.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely plan to keep the truck, but as it stands I have had it nearly 2 years and haven't even put 5k miles on it, it is not a daily driver or even a weekender, mostly accompanies me on highway trips once in a while

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could get Delco Irridiums cheaper than the Platinums, get them all day at that price, usually I have seen them for $10/ea, I am not spending $80 on plugs....

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could get Delco Irridiums cheaper than the Platinums, get them all day at that price, usually I have seen them for $10/ea, I am not spending $80 on plugs....

Amazon is great for car parts, I have gotten many of my upgrades/part there and the prices are great

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazon is great for car parts, I have gotten many of my upgrades/part there and the prices are great

As have/ do I, but lately I have not been as impressed with prices and there are more private sellers comming up in searches, which I have had bad experience with.....

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up finding a set of 8 NGK Platinums for $24, really cant beat that price

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK is a good quality plug. I try to always use AC Delco but if in a pinch and can't get when I want then I use NGK with no worries.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I can get around to that and the dozen other projects within a good timeframe

The previous owners took excellent care of this and it is likely that the plugs have already been replaced, but I honestly haven't gone over the sheaths of maintenance paperwork

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went over the maint. records and found that the intake manifold gaskets were replaced at 70,000 miles, so I will check for leaks but I bet that the new gaskets fixed any lasting problem that the stock gaskets had

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good possibility they were replaced with factory original POS gaskets.....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah those have to be used with a new bolt design to keep from crushing the gasket, I removed some the other day from a 3.4l that had a steel washer in the gasket to keep from overtorquing..... I still like the felpro perma-dry ones.....

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was installed by a chevy dealership back in 2000 that is still there today, hopefully that says something about their service and hopefully it was done right and will last