Best Way to Change Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neweagle

Reaction score
Coming up on my first oil change in our '07 Tahoe 5.3L. Just looking for suggestions on how best to do it, i.e:

- best way to get to the oil filter;
- jack points / ramps
- best drain pan
- etc.
- other tips & tricks.

Thanks!!!!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to . . .

1. I use a fitted cup wrench that fits the flutes on the filter and has a 3/8" square drive.
2. I use ramps as the jack stands just got in the way.
3. I use the enclosed round black plastic kind w/ a pour spout.
4. Don't forget the two grease zerks on the out tie rod ends. Everything else is sealed. Prefill your filter to prevent a dry start. Use Mobil 1. Don't use Fram filter.

Just my $.02.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I use a fitted cup wrench that fits the flutes on the filter and has a 3/8" square drive.
2. I use ramps as the jack stands just got in the way.
3. I use the enclosed round black plastic kind w/ a pour spout.
4. Don't forget the two grease zerks on the out tie rod ends. Everything else is sealed. Prefill your filter to prevent a dry start. Use Mobil 1. Don't use Fram filter.

Just my $.02.

:iagree:

I agree with everything but the ramps. Never needed any with the old 98 Tahoe I had and I looked under the 07 and got under it with no problem at all. Our Corvette is another story :D

Ech0

Reaction score
4. Don't forget the two grease zerks on the out tie rod ends. Everything else is sealed. Don't use Fram filter.
Just my $.02.

Coming up on my first oil change. I was wondering how many, if any, grease nipples I needed to hunt for. Thanks for the info.

I use NAPA Gold oil filters which I believe are actually Wix filters.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also coming up on my first oil change. Any know off the top of their which K&N oil filter fits an 07' Denali?

Are there any gotcha's I need to look out for?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why.....I use them all the time. Used them on my race car also....?

If you like them and have had no problems, then keep using them. I saw a report from a former quality engr at Fram explaining why they could not be trusted. Only detail I can remember is when they pressure tested them, some would fail, so they lowered the test pressure. Also a GM engr on another forum said not to use them. All anecdotal evidence but with other choices, I decided not to risk it.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on which Fram filter you're using. From what I understand they're not all created equal. On another forum I frequent this same subject was debated to death.

The Fram Extended Guard is an excellent filter. It has a metal screen and anti-drain back value. Some put it in the same class with K&N filters and swear by them. I doubt anyone would have problems with it. However, I'd personally stay away from Fram's entry level filters for reason already posted. That seems to be the most common opinion.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4. Don't forget the two grease zerks on the out tie rod ends. Everything else is sealed.

Just my $.02.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. What shouldn't you forget about the grease zerks?

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to use synthetic oil and better filter, so it'll be closer $70.

I'm used to changing the oil on my cars/trucks. Just this will be the first time I'm under my Denali and want to know any gotcha's.

Plus, I hate going to dealerships and that entire process.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question. What shouldn't you forget about the grease zerks?

Only the question never asked is dumb. I should have been more specific. The reason I mentioned it was on another forum, someone indication that there were no grease zerks and everything was sealed.

So to answer your question, don't forget to grease the outer tie rod ends. :)

Forgot to mention that the last time I changed oil, I noticed that the pinion end of the steering gear was seeping slightly. Will get fixed next time in to dealer.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I like this forum, but I wish it had some more do-it-yourself info.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about that quality control! :eek: :eek:

Any info on which Fram filters in particular?

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there goes my plug to give Fram a fair shake. :ack: So much for being objective.

I still prefer K&N oil filters. Even if all things are equal, I like the 1" nut for easy removal. Now if someone would confirm which one is the correct filter that'll fit an '07 Denali, it'll save me a call to K&N and NAPA. :D

I read on another forum the HP-1007 and it's larger(oversize) HP-2006 will fit. Anyone care to confirm and/or share their experience if you've used one?