better mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rottenmiller

Reaction score
I have an 02 Tahoe, 4.8l, 105,000 miles. I have pulled the plugs they looked good so I regapped them and put them back in and put new wires on it. It gets 16mpg which isn't terrible but I would like to squeeze a few more mpg's out of it. To me it doesn't look like there is too much under the hood to be tweeked. Any suggestions?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money and time changing the post catalytic converter 02 sensors those are fuel control 02 sensors the soul purpose of those are to monitor catalytic converter efficiency... correct tire size and air pressure helps and do you have factory stock size tires.. if not you might want to have the EBCM calibrated to the tire size you have on there now and of course good driving habits help.. I can get 17 -18 but lovely wife only gets 14-15.. hard on the accelerator and on the brake does not coast to a stop but more like shes in a race to get to the stop sign/light

IMI4tth3w

Reaction score
http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

read this. your driving style can make the biggest improvement in mpgs over anything else.

99% of the mods you can do to save money would be better off spent as fuel in the tank. if your not doing it to save money on gas, but rather a better running more efficient truck, there are a couple of things.

#1 most helpful mod will be a custom tune done by any number of companies/people that do them. if there is a reputable shop nearby thats always best as it makes it easy for re-tunes. justin at black bear performance has a great reputation on the forums. while your at it, have it tuned for the 93 or 91 octane whichever is more available for you, and you will see even better gains. you will pay a little bit more at the pump but you will get it back in mpgs if you can keep your foot out of it.

everything else will be in conjunction with the tune. cold air intake (air raid jr has been tested by black bear as the best performing CAI on the market. and it can be had for around $100 all day)

exhaust (long tubes and a magnaflow have great results. magnaflow makes an aftermarket cat if your like me and hate the smell of rich exhaust or you can just have your factory ones rewelded)

everything else will be things you can find here

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops meant to say the post cat 02 sensors are NOT fuel control 02 sensors its only the pre cat 02 sensors that have influence over fuel control