Calling all 5.3L experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cey800

Reaction score
This has probably been beat to death before, but I will ask anyways. I've got an '04 with a 5.3L and no mods. I'm looking for a little more power and milage, with out breaking the bank. Intakes/chips/exhaust. As far as chips/tuners, I'm looking for user friendly, plug and play. Please help, calling all 5.3L experts.

cey800

Reaction score
hypertech power programmer III here in '06 z71

What kind of improvements would I be expecting with the hypertech and what is it worth. Should it be used with a intake system? I should of mentioned before, but I'm looking for a little more power while towing if it matters. Cheers!:cheers:

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a cheap bastard. This is my list that I'm doing, in order, due to budget constraints.

1. S&B Intake - ~$220 - 5-10hp, 2mpg increase
2. Big 3 Upgrade - $80 (can go online and get welding cable to the tune of $24 + connectors) - maybe 1mpg increase, only had it on for 1 tank so far

Future:

3. Hypertech programmer - ~$220 - 2-4mpg increase
4. Catback - not sure which yet, but $200-300
5. E-fans - $150

Don't forget to lay off that lead foot and empty your truck of excess weight. In other words, stop leaving those dead bodies in the cargo area.

Also keep it properly tuned, oil changed frequently (and use synthetic), and air pressure on the high end of the acceptable range.