Camshaft position sensor code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
Ok, so I've followed some steps labeled in this forum for the camshaft position sensor, which are the obvious change the sensor in the distributor. Once changed I reflashed the computer and the light cleared, still got the hesitation and shutter than the light returned. Second replacement was the cap and rotor, reflashed and still same problem. Third replacement was a new distributor, with another new cap, new rotor, and new camshaft position sensor. reflashed and once again and actually worse now the hesitation shutter and camshaft position sensor code. Are there any other things for me to check and change that might be affecting the CPS. Would the coil have any effect on this. Would the fuel pump or fuel filter somehow throw this code? I'm at a loss. Any help greatly appreciated.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
I don't remember the exact code right now off the top of my head but it was something like camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. I will get it off my scanner and post it as soon as i find out. Probably in a few minutes.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
If it is the code I am thinking of, it simply means your distributor is a tooth or two off and the distributor needs to be reset.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I'd almost guarantee that your distributor is a tooth off. I remember a code like that after I had replaced the lower intake gasket on a 99 5.7. I had to remove the distributor and when i reinstalled it, I got that code. I reset the distributor and problem solved.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
ok, sounds like my next plan is to play around with the oil pump a bit to sit the distributer a tooth back. I'll give it a shot. Thanks

tahoefuz

Reaction score
Absolutely. I'll be back with the results, but won't be for a few days. Thanks

tahoefuz

Reaction score
Ok so I went to double check the code and I'm gettin two now, P0340 and also P0341

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Yea, all thoughts point to a distributor being off. This P0341 code basically means that the powertrain control module (PCM) detected a problem with the camshaft signal. The camshaft position sensor (CPS) sends a specific signal to the PCM for Top Dead Center on the compression stroke as well as signals indicating the position of the cam sensor. This is accomplished through a reluctor wheel attached to the crankshaft that passes by the crank sensor. Any time that the signal to the PCM is inconsistent with what the signal should be, this code is set. NOTE: this code can also be set by extended cranking periods.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
Ok well like I said I'll adjust the distributor and bring some feedback, thanks again

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheres the feedback...im having the same p0340 code and I just put a new motor in. new dist 2. Should I replace my camshaft sensor? Or how do I reset the dist? YOu mean take it out and repostion it? help me here Im gettin dam mad at my tahoe after all the $$ Ive put in it....thanks

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man whats up with this bs site. this used to be a good place to get info. :mad2: