Cannot Read Engine Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03HoeRider

Reaction score
Hello,
I have tried two different Autozones, and both do not get any reading from my computer. Is it possible the computer connector is bad? Could it be a fuse? Thanks for any input.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Yes to both of your questions. I do not know what fuse is for the PCM, so what I would do if I was you, is look at your owner's manual or pulle each fuse one by one and check to be sure they are good.

Just so you know, you have a fuse box on the driver's side of the dash and one under hood.

03HoeRider

Reaction score
I have checked every fuse and found 2 of them to be burned out. One was for a cigarette lighter, the other is a 10A 'RT TRLR' 'ST/TRN' as per the back of the fuse cover. Does anybody know what that fuse is for? I'm assuming TRLR stands for trailer? but i'm probably wrong.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
IIRC, the cigar lighter fuse is connected to the PCM also.

Also the burnt fuse could very well be the reason for the Check Engine light to come on. once you replace that fuse, it should complete the circuit and the light should go out, unless there is a code thrown.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OBDII is on the cig fuse so that should fix your problem with not being able to read it. Alos TRLR stands for trailer.

03HoeRider

Reaction score
You guys were right, my check engine light is now gone.
And to answer dye4metal's question, no - the scanner never came on, but i'm sure it will now.
Thank you all for your help.

DefEddie

Reaction score
Just thought I would mention this,so if it comes up.

The cigarette lighter powers the DLC,so that blown fuse was why the scanner wouldn't work.
But a blown fuse doesn't cause a CEL. More than likely what happened is you pulled all the fuses looking at them for a blown one?
If so then you probably pulled the PCM fuse and reset the computer.
So more than likely the code will come back when the diagnostic monitors reset.
depending on your driving style it could be up to a few weeks for a cat code to come up,a couple days for a misfire code,overnight for an evap code,1 day for EGR and a couple days for an 02 code.
Of course next key cycle for an on demand fault :)