Can't put shifter into park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric D

Reaction score
My wife was driving home today in our 2004 Chevy Tahoe. She got it home but, in the driveway could not put the shifter into Park. As a result you also cannot remove the key. There's a few things I think it could be. Looking for some advice to narrow it down. I'm thinking it could be the brake switch, or the shifter interlock. I suppose it could also be the shifter cable, but I tried to move the shift lever manually and it did not want to go any further than reverse.

Eric D

Reaction score
Problem solved. It was the interlock solenoid. However, it still works, it had just slipped off of the stud where it mounts on the forward end. It appears it is a plastic friction fit over a metal stud. I put it back over the stud and put a zip tie around the wire connected to it. Seems to be holding it in place for now. To access it, you just need to remove the lower dash panel underneath the steering column. You do not need to remove the steering column cover. There is a metal plate behind the dash panel that also needs to be removed.