Need to have my 4x4 06 towed - it is disabled and stuck in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeonJames

Reaction score
On an adventure last weekend, my (I think) shift cable snapped. I was able to drive the truck home and park it because the cable broke while in D, and in 2HI mode. I am not able to shift the because the lever just slides freely as a result of the broken cable.

That also means I can't turn the ignition on due to the safety interlock preventing the engine from starting while it's in drive. So, I have to have it towed to a shop instead of being able to drive it there.https://discord.software/ fetLife itunes

Then like a dumbass, I must've left a dome light or something on, because now my battery is dead.

I read the towing section of the manual which addresses dinghy and dolly towing. It seems to imply I need to put the transfer case in N for dolly towing, but I can't do that since the battery is dead. The manual's dolly scenario seems to specify lifting the front wheels.

So, I'm stuck in Drive, 2HI, and can't turn the truck on or ACC power. Research confirms that the truck is rear-wheel drive in 2HI.

If I have the tow truck dolly tow with the rear wheels lifted and the fronts on the ground, but the transfer case not in Neutral, am I going to damage the or will I be ok?

Last edited: