Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kebler95

Reaction score
Good Afternoon everyone!!!!
I wanna start off by just saying , Thanks everyone for the last few thread information i have gotten from all you on my last issue I had on my Beast from the South(Tahoe).
Here is what I am wondering, I just replaced one of my 02 Sensors, I have gotten my engine Service light back on, still telling my it is a cat bank 1. I replaced my driver side 02 sensor already. I am starting to think that it is time for a new cat. I have been doing some window shopping on this product. There is a Magnaflow cat conv. I was wondering if I could install this one, or if I have to have the direct fit one. It seems that there is 2 cat conv. on these models of Tahoe's (1999 Base. 5.7). But is it possible to put a magnaflow on there an still pass inspection when it comes time to do so?
I live Dallas,TX no restriction on this form of cat.
Thank you. Hope to hear from you all soon with your suggestions/answers.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What codes did it throw?

Yup, 2 cats, but I would figure out why they failed in the first place....

kebler95

Reaction score
Yea I believe it was a Po420 code bank 1 . Which should be the 02 sensor driver side which I replaced.
And how do you investigate on how your cat went out .?? First time dealing with a cat so I'm green on that end .

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, a scan tool that can read live data you can see things such as a rich running bank which could destroy a cat. Leaking of the fuel injection system is common and can cause these issues, also leaking of coolant....

kebler95

Reaction score
I know it is not anything to do with my A/C cause it is broke i need to get a new compresser for it. I will have to scan it again tomorrow and check out the live scan on it to see exactly what it is, i have not yet done that. Nor did anyone bring up that idea. Thanks for the idea though it may pin point exactly what it is that is causing it.
Thanks ! ! :) I'll Let you know what happens in the next day or so.

kebler95

Reaction score
P0430
SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK 2 (FREEZE FRAME DATA)
Scan
Mil status on
DTC COUNT 2
READINESS COMPLETE YES

FREEZE DATA EXISTS YES

O2 SENSOR
1 GOOD
2 NOT AVALIBE , NOT READY
3 GOOD
4 NOT AVALIBE , NOT READY

This is from the scanner information. Maybe this well help locate my issue.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically your post cat sensor on the passenger side is switching too much/far indicating either your converter is bad (not burning off stuff), or you have an external issue i.e. vacuum leak or leaky fuel injector throwing the balance off.

You need to look at the LIVE DATA stream and watch B2S1 and B2S2, watch #1 is it hanging out on one end or the other more (running rich/ lean) or is it averaging 0.450vdc (the average time low and high should be an average it should swing)? Second sensor is it matching the swing of the first, or is it maintaining close to the 0.450vdc steadily level (this sensor should sit without swinging much and close to midrange).

kebler95

Reaction score
Oh, ok I'll look for that in the live stream, I was not to sure what i was to be looking for when i saw it all in that stream. Thank you very much. I'll do a live take and post the results.
Will I be able to see the fuel leak in the injector ( just curiuous)

kebler95

Reaction score
OK I got all the information that was requested on my truck here to share with you today. I will break this into 2 parts so that the thread will not be sooo long.

Product Scan used - EZ-Scan 6000
Scan
MIL Status - on
DTC Count - 2
Readiness Scan Complete - yes
Freeze Data Exists - yes

FREEZE DATA
PO430 Catalyst system effiency
below threshold (bank 2 )

O2 Sensor Scan
2 and 4 O2 Sensor not ready or O2 Sensor data available

TROUBLE CODES
PO420 Catalyst system effiency threshold (bank 1)

(PART 1 COMPLETE)

kebler95

Reaction score
PART 2

READNIESS MONITERS

COMPLETE- YES
FUEL SYSTEM 1 - CLOSED LOOP
FUEL SYSTEM 2 - CLOSED LOOP
LOAD VALUE - 27%
COOLANT TEMP - 145o
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM 1- 0.0%-0.8% (FLEX)
LONG TERM FUEL TRIM 2 - -10.2%
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM 2 - 0.0%-0.7% (FLEX)
LONG TERM FUEL TRIM 2 - 11.0%
MAP SENSOR - 9 IN HG
ENGINE RMP- 659-689 (EST. FLEX)
VEHICHLE SPEED - 0
IGNITION TIMING - 21.5 - 22.5o (EST.FLEX)
INTAKE AIR TEMP - 122o
AIR FLOW RATE - 0.84 LB/MIN
THROTTLE POSITION- 0%
O2 SENSOR BANK 1 - 0.100-800 V (EST. FLEX)
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM 1 - 1%
O2 SENSOR BANK 2 - 130-790 V (EST.FLEX)
SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM 2 - NOT SUPPORTED
OBD 2 REQUIRE - OBD 2 (CARB)
POWER TAKE OFF-NOT ACTIVE
BATTERY VOLTAGE -13.2-14.0 (EST.FLEX)
THROTTLE SENSOR - 0.56 V
FRONT O2 SENSOR - 141-765 (EST. FLEX)
REAR O2 SENSOR - 146-765 (EST. FLEX)
EGR POSITION - 0.86 V
FUEL TANK PRESSURE - 1.76 V
THROTTLE POSITION - 0%
EGR VALUE OPEN - 0%
TRANS OIL TEMP - 145o
CAM SHAFT RE-TARD - 3.6o
START UP COOLANT TEMP - 89o
CANISTER PURGE SOLEN - 17%
EGR DATY CYCLE - 0%
FUEL TRIM CELL - 17
DESIRED IDLE - 662 RPM
DESIRED EGR - 0%
A/F RATIO - 14.7%
TOTAL MISFIRES -0 COUNT
MISFIRE HISTORY CYL 1-8 - 0 COUNT.

* FLEX- FLEXUATE. ( THE SCAN WAS DONE WITH THE TRUCK RUNNING TO TRY TO GET THE BEST RESULTS )

HOPEFULLY THIS CAN SPOT WHERE MY ISSUE IS AT EVERYONE. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP !!!

kebler95

Reaction score
Hope you all had a great 3day weekend!

Truck still with check engine light on ...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is running a little rich on both banks... Hows the state of tune? Plugs/ wires/ cap/ rotor/ coil?

kebler95

Reaction score
Caps , coil, was recently re newed. Not sure about wiring , n rotor. Haven't looked really . Which wires u talking about ?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wires that run from the "distributor cap" to the spark plugs and also Coil. If a Non AC delco cap was used it may develop misfires.....

kebler95

Reaction score
The Coil was replaced, I have had no misfires, Spark plugs .. they may need to be changed possible, I will have to check on them , take a one out and see what the condition of it may be. So just for double check, do I need to replace any more 02 Sensors ? I need to check my sparkplugs correct, Cap,Coil was repalced about a month ago.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the plugs for shure, even if they aren't bad, their condition can tell you about how the engine is operating....

kebler95

Reaction score
OK I sure will give it a look tomorrow. Is anything I need to be careful of doing when pulling out the plugs? Or and tricks. I can tell you I have not had to changed the plugs since i bought the truck est. 7-8 yrs ago, give or take a yr or so.

kebler95

Reaction score
Hey Lester , sorry I took forever to get back to u man . The family life had me occupied there . But I got a pic of of the sparkplug on passenger side here for u to check out.

Attachments

• 1443726843209403590123.jpg
    1443726843209403590123.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1443726909352226980890.jpg
    1443726909352226980890.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2

kebler95

Reaction score
Well Lester I do believe you were correct, I installed the sparkplugs in yesterday, Drove here to work no check engine light came on , on the way here. I may need to tighten up my battery bolts it came on an off 1 or twice .
And why in the hell did they make them soo difficult to get to on the drivers side!!? ugg, that part was a pain in my neck, i think i cursed at the part for a good 3 mins lol.
Thanks a lot Lester you were a big help. ;)