Chrome Mirrors

Chrome mirros

• Chrome the upper mirrors caps

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • The lower side chrome like the Escalade looks sweet

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • Not digging the bling. Don't chrome it.

Votes: 30 28.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Black Beauty would look better with some chrome so I ordered the Denali grille and some GM chrome door handles. I think some chrome around the mirror line would be a nice touch.

Any thoughts as to the upper mirror caps as come on the factory chrome package look better than the lower chrome trim as is used on the Escalade?

Last edited:

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Black Beauty would look better with some chrome so I ordered the Denali grille and some GM chrome door handles. I think some chrome around the mirror line would be a nice touch.

Any thoughts as to the upper mirror caps as come on the factory chrome package look better than the lower chrome trim as is used on the Escalade?

I like the lower mirror chrome trim. That is, if your top part is painted. If it's plastic, then chrome top would look better. But since your truck is black, you could go either way. My brother just prdered a bunch of chrome for his 07 Tahoe, gonna be blinging! :thumbsup:

WHEELMAN322

Reaction score
I defineatly want to add a set to my Denali. Is there a particular brand that are high quality/close to OEM. I really don't like cheap stick on looking stuff.

Jimmie48

Reaction score
the stick ons these days are actually pretty nice, and the uppers mostly these days are all clip ons OEM fitment. One nice thing about the stick ons is that if you get sick of em you can just take em off....and they are very cheap. I have yet to see a lower mirror cover replacement other than a stick on. I think Putco is probably the best for this application but there are some others out there that are nice.

WHEELMAN322

Reaction score
the stick ons these days are actually pretty nice, and the uppers mostly these days are all clip ons OEM fitment. One nice thing about the stick ons is that if you get sick of em you can just take em off....and they are very cheap. I have yet to see a lower mirror cover replacement other than a stick on. I think Putco is probably the best for this application but there are some others out there that are nice.

Actually after I posted...I looked at a few things on GETWIRED's sig. His truck seems pretty well put together, so I'll probably bite the bullet and get the stickons.

Jimmie48

Reaction score
Got the same ones from Putco, they look great will post some pics tomorrow on my Sport Red LT

WHEELMAN322

Reaction score
Ordered my Lower half Putco's today. Can't wait to get them.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the same ones from Putco, they look great will post some pics tomorrow on my Sport Red LT

Please do post pics. I just bought an '07 Sport Red Tahoe last week. I'm trying to visualize it with Chrome. Not sure if I should go for a chrome or black theme. Any pics you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WHEELMAN322

Reaction score
Not even 48 hours after I put the covers on and the right one fell off somewhere. I'm pissed.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DOH!!!! I used isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean the mirror housings where the tape was located, and heated the tape a bit beforeo applying them, because adhesives like these really stick poorly in cold weather, not to mention dirty surfaces...

Sorry 'bout your crummy luck...

WHEELMAN322

Reaction score
DOH!!!! I used isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean the mirror housings where the tape was located, and heated the tape a bit beforeo applying them, because adhesives like these really stick poorly in cold weather, not to mention dirty surfaces...

Sorry 'bout your crummy luck...

The funny thing is...I did clean the surface thouroughly, but it was 32 degrees out. The adhesive probably did not cure properly. Well...keep your eyes peeled for a right chrome mirror cover if your ever in central NJ.:rolleyes:

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing it didn't come flying off at highway speed and scratching down the side of the truck. That would make it quite an expensive mod. Sorry to hear about this!

Jimmie48

Reaction score
I used an adhesive "enhancer" or whatever they called it in the package...I just rubbed it on the parts of the tape with some cotton mesh and then on the mirror where it was going to stick, I could tell it made the tape extremely sticky right away...dont know if they send this "stuff" with all of them but mine are sticking great so far and have been on a 400 mile 80mph avg trip already.....pics coming soon, waiting for my new grille....for those sport red guys

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to put on the lower chrome on my mirrors, but I have put armor all on the balck part before to shine it up. How would I go about making sure all of that stuff and other stuff is off before I install them?

Mextahoe24

Reaction score
if your loking for cheap abs plastic go for the lower cover if your lookijng for solid and oem look go for the top why well bottom cover is pasted with 3m tape and upper are caps that, you need to remove the original to add the chrome I THINK YOU AL READY KNEW BUT JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT ...IM ALSO LOOKING FOR SOME CHROM BUT LOWER LOOKS BETTER BUT I DONT LIKE THAT ITS WITH 3M TAPE THATS WHY IM GOING WITHT EH UPPER......

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to put on the lower chrome on my mirrors, but I have put armor all on the balck part before to shine it up. How would I go about making sure all of that stuff and other stuff is off before I install them?

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Lots of it. Included in the Putco lower mirror kit is a cleaner solution, wipes, and their tape -- I wouldn't use any of that. Use a clean microfiber towel, or you could use a paper towel if you had to. I'd get some 3M double-sided trim tape, as most of the double-sided tape you'll get with the Putco accessories isn't so super-duper. Don't be afraid to use a hair dryer or heat gun on a low setting to heat the tape up to increase the tackiness before you apply.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiping the affected area with a mild solvent will remove remnants of armorall.
3M makes an adhesion promoter in packets like alcohol wipes that works very good. Only problem is I dont think you can get them separately. Have to buy a box of them.

"3Mâ„¢ Adhesion Promoter 06396 is specifically formulated to be used with 3Mâ„¢ Acrylic Foam Tape for automotive applications. Since formulations and surface energies can vary for these types of materials, each application should be verified through testing. This adhesion promoter is supplied in an easy-to-use sponge applicator packet."

Any autobody supplier will have both.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mextahoe,
If you don't have a black Vehicle adding the lowers make more sense. The top is already painted and the lower black plastic looks like crap.

Denali132,
I have had the lowers install for well over a year now. It is holding perfectly even through some tough winter weather.

Mine came with the 3M tape on it. I don't know what all vendors use. Make sure you clean with alcohol and then don't touch the surface. Make sure the surface is warm and dry and don't get it wet for awhile ( next day)