confimred 2009 Tahoe features GM confidential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to that guide, it looks like the 6-speed tranny only comes with the 4WD. Hmmm, I was hoping to get it with the 2WD. Do you guys think I could get it if I ordered the vehicle?

Nah I think the six speed is gonna be on all of them, except maybe a base LS with a 4.8 liter.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn as soon as the 2010's come out i'll settle into an 09 when i sell my 07 haha :)

HOTFUZZ

Reaction score
I love my 08' but I wonder if I could just take that 6 speed trans and put it in. Any thoughts?

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah I think the six speed is gonna be on all of them, except maybe a base LS with a 4.8 liter.

This is correct.

I love my 08' but I wonder if I could just take that 6 speed trans and put it in. Any thoughts?

Attempting to replace an 08's 4-speed auto with the 09's 6-speed will prove to be very spendy and expensive, it would be wiser to trade-in and upgrade.

Also; 2009 Tahoe pricing is available I would be happy to email a complete 09 price sheet to anyone that wants.

Last edited:

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is correct.

Attempting to replace an 08's 4-speed auto with the 09's 6-speed will prove to be very spendy and expensive, it would be wiser to trade-in and upgrade.

Also; 2009 Tahoe pricing is available I would be happy to email a complete 09 price sheet to anyone that wants.

I would love to see the pricing on the Denali. I still haven't received that from the dealer yet. (order is currently slated for a 7/14 build week)

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Travis,
I sent you an email with the 2009 Denali price schedule.

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:iagree:
It's not worth the trouble or the money it will cost. Buy a new one if you want a six speed, thats why i'm waiting for the 09's.

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should up the EPA rating by 1-2mpg due to the higher rear gear ratios allowed with the 6-speed as it has a very low 1st gear.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should up the EPA rating by 1-2mpg due to the higher rear gear ratios allowed with the 6-speed as it has a very low 1st gear.

I am very interested in this too. The 6 speed is the big deciding factor for me between an 08 that I can find on the lot and get a huge discount on, or an 09 that I would have to order and pay a premium for. I am interested in the 6 speed for the low gear to help towing a heavy load, and (most importantly) slightly improved fuel economy. If there is no or very little improvement, then I might just as well go for an 08 if I can find one configured how I like. The other added features of an 09 would be nice, but would not be worth the extra thousands it would cost over an 08.

I was going to start a new topic on this. I'm not sure, but maybe people with ukon's and escalades can provide some insight? (but if they are AWD that will probably change the MPG??). Did any of the silverado series trucks have an optional 6 speed before? Could we get any info from that? How long untill the fuel economy is reported? I would imagine they must have the data by now?

- Chad

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know you discouraged dropping the 6 speed into an 08 for economic reasons, but what do you think would be the effect of doing that in an 08 with a lower ratio? I have 4:10's (which I love and am proud of). Would it be too much, or would it pull like an animal? Perhaps it would make the overdrive too inefficient?
When I factor the ratios I show that right now my 1st gear is at 12.55:1, a 6 speed w/ 3.42s is at 13.77:1, and the 6 speed with 4.10s is at 16.51:1. Sounds like a huge difference. Then over drive went from 3.20:1, to 2.28:1, to 2.73:1, respectively. Which does not sound like much. But does first gear kill the idea?

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just heard a rumor from a completely UNVERIFIED source that 09 production has halted until November while they try to get rid of 08's. Can anyone verify this?

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just heard a rumor from a completely UNVERIFIED source that 09 production has halted until November while they try to get rid of 08's. Can anyone verify this?

A local dealer told me Saturday he doesn’t think he will have any information on ordering 09’s for at least 4-6 weeks. :(

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is a terrible rumor that I hope is untrue. The last I heard, production was supposed to start yesterday.

I spoke with my dealer last week and at that time my truck was slated to be built the week of July 14. I hope that's still true.