confimred 2009 Tahoe features GM confidential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Tahoe's did in-fact roll into production this past Monday 6/23/08

gnx231

Reaction score
if i'm reading this right i will be able to get a 2009 tahoe with the 5.3 and 6sp. tranny? i hope so. does anyone know the gear ratio's?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i'm reading this right i will be able to get a 2009 tahoe with the 5.3 and 6sp. tranny? i hope so. does anyone know the gear ratio's?

Yeah that should be right, with a 6.2 also being an option in front of the same tranny. I think the 3.42 will be as common as the 3.73 is now, but not sure of what higher or lower options. I think 4.10's are gone though.

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2WD 4.8L equipped LS models come with 3.23 standard and 3.73 optional.

2WD 5.3L equipped models will come standard with 3.08 and 3.42 will be optional.

All 4x4 and 6.2L equipped models will come standard with 3.42 gears.

Hybrid models come with 3.08 only.

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1: 4.03
2: 2.36
3: 1.53
4: 1.15
5: 0.85
6: 0.67

R: 3.06

gnx231

Reaction score
i would assume it will get better mpg with the 6sp. thanks guys

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This whole thing has really been plaguing me for the last week. For the last 6 months I was convinced I would wait for the 09's to come out, I like alot of the additional features, and really wanted the 6-speed. Then, last week, when the rebates came out on the 08's, I started seriously considering a 2008 that my dealer had for a KILLER deal. It is exactly what I want (black\ebony LT3 Z71, Nav, 2nd & 3rd row Bench...etc) BUT, obviously does not have the features I was waiting for 09 for (mainly 6 speed). Financially, I had convinced my self that it makes sense to grab an 08, since the 09's have already had a price increase, and I doubt there will be anywhere near as much wiggle room when they first come out as there is in the 08's. Further, to find the set up I want, I would most likely have to order the 09 straight from the factory, since I highly doubt there will be lots of dealers ordering these for stock, and the chances of me finding exactly what I want on the lot will be slim to none.

SO, pretty much programed to buy an 08, I went around yesterday and did some test drives. We currently have a 05 tahoe, had an 02 and a 98, so I am real familiar with the older ones, but not so much with the new models. I visited 4 dealers - 2 chevy and 2 GMC. I alternated between Tahoe's and Yukon denali's. I drove the Denali's because I really wanted to see how the 6-speed would behave. I must say: the 6-speed is really awesome. Much less shifting, better acceleration, less "gear searching"...etc. It really is a large improvement. Now, I do understand that the Denali's have a 6L engine in them, which of course is going to make a huge difference in its performance. But long story short, I really feel that the 6-speed, even when paired with the 5.3L is going to make a fairly substantial difference in acceleration, towing, "gear searching" and gas mileage.

The only thing I cannot check is if a programmer will change the performance of the 5.3 and the shift points of the 4-speed enough to make a significant difference.

Maybe I'll wait a few weeks (or months? :confused2: ) untill a dealer somewhere around here gets an 09 in and I can test drive a 5.3L 6-speed combo. I'd doubt that 08 I currently have my eyes on will go anywhere in a hurry, and at that point I can make the decision between that 08, or ordering a 09.

And maybe its just a mental concept with me personally? I'm not sure? But, its the kind of thing that if I were to settle for an 08 with a 4-speed, every time I step on it I'm going to wonder: "should I have waited a few more months and spent the extra bucks on an 09 with a 6-speed". When you are already spending 40K +/-, a few extra thousand (I hope thats all it will be) wont be the end of the world, I guess. My own mental torment will drive me nuts, and if I'm going to spend this kind of money on a vehicle, it darn better well be exactly what I want or I wont be happy with it in the long run.

gnx231

Reaction score
I Here Ya I'm In The Same Boat. I Went The Other Day Tolook At A Tahoe Then After Looking Around This Site Found Out The 6sp. Will Be In The 09's. So I'm Torn Between Getting A Great Deal On An 08 Or Waiting For An 09.

SangerZ28

Reaction score
By the sounds of it, not until this fall. :( I'm even reconsidering it now with these gas prices and economy. Guess I'll wait a little longer and see how the cards unfold.