Confused Outdoor Temp Gauge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkitec

Reaction score
During my Christmas trip I noticed something strange. On a clear night at about 37 d. The outdoor temp gauge would occasional flash the work Ice. However counter to rational thought a few nights later in a blinding fog and with outdoor temp at between 32 and 33 d there was no warning what so ever. The owners manual for the 03 Tahoe does not discuss the temp gauge beyond explaining how to change from f. to c. Does anyone know what parameters the unit uses to determine when it should and should not indicate ice?

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it tries to read temp, and the air running across it during driving. So temp, and cool moisture may have messed with it.

jniolon

Reaction score
During my Christmas trip I noticed something strange. On a clear night at about 37 d. The outdoor temp gauge would occasional flash the work Ice. However counter to rational thought a few nights later in a blinding fog and with outdoor temp at between 32 and 33 d there was no warning what so ever. The owners manual for the 03 Tahoe does not discuss the temp gauge beyond explaining how to change from f. to c. Does anyone know what parameters the unit uses to determine when it should and should not indicate ice?

mine does the same thing.... I think when it reads in low 30s it will warn of possible icing conditions....

john:cool2:

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it’s tied into the anti stop brakes? Wheel senses slippage, mirror displays ICE….?

rockman20

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. So did my 04 Trailblazer. I think they only warn you when the temps are questionable. 37 would be in that area. Anything at freezing or below, I think that they figure that you should know already.

Both my Yukon and my Trailblazer would warn you though when you first started it. Even now with temps hovering in the teens above, when I first start the vehicle I get a warning that Ice is possible. Only lasts for a short bit and then it is gone and never warns me until the next time I start it.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's designed to do that. When the temp is dropping, it will display "ICE" at 37 degrees.

If it's already at or below 37, then it assumes you know enough to be aware of the ice potential, so no warning.

It's only a warning of dropping temps into the freezing range.