Converting to HID Lights on Tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
If you want a dramatic change use this $70 OPT7 kit that I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-AC-55w...121526888049?var=&hash=item1c4b912671&vxp=mtr
It is made for the 2015's and has everything you need - the proper H11 bulbs, wire harness and capacitors. Best of all it is from people here in the US and carries a 2 year warranty.

I chose the 5000K color that provides an impressive improvement in visibility with a brilliant white light similar to daylight.

Bighurk

Reaction score
If you want a dramatic change use this $70 OPT7 kit that I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-AC-55w...121526888049?var=&hash=item1c4b912671&vxp=mtr
It is made for the 2015's and has everything you need - the proper H11 bulbs, wire harness and capacitors. Best of all it is from people here in the US and carries a 2 year warranty.

I chose the 5000K color that provides an impressive improvement in visibility with a brilliant white light similar to daylight.

I purchased this kit and it works well, I will also add that with the 55w, it looks fantastic

Bighurk

Reaction score
Any pics to show of the 55W kit?

dba6ab42db6cf7c58a0e92cd874ad5f5.jpg
51b4c52f22fd5047237b501bba27276b.jpg
003ea5df2c1c4e6570b76570f7adfc8d.jpg

These are from a while back and I took them after I was done with the install. The pics don't do it justice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derricl

Reaction score
Well the kit is installed and they look great. Just wish they would work under the Daytime Running Lamp mode. BigHurk.....what is your preferred work around? No fuse specific to the DRL's.

Nice choice in the Black Z.......we both have good taste.

Bighurk

Reaction score
Well the kit is installed and they look great. Just wish they would work under the Daytime Running Lamp mode. BigHurk.....what is your preferred work around? No fuse specific to the DRL's.

Nice choice in the Black Z.......we both have good taste.

Currently I have no work around. I manually turn it off.

We sure do :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leafman60

Reaction score
I've converted several vehicles to HID as well as the new generation of CREE LEDS.

It's not a bad job to do but sometimes issues can be encountered both in installation and in operation.

Popping in a set of upgraded halogen bulbs like the Ultra Silverstars would sure be an easy option. I may try that. I am currently using them on other vehicles with good result.

I find the stock light output of my Z71 lamps acceptable, especially on high beam.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Sylvania Ultras

I have used the Silverstars for years and still use them in several vehicles. I like the white light and use them for high beams on my Tahoe.
Something that needs to be considered for low beam use is the very short bulb life and high cost of $50 or so a pair. Another consideration is the pain it is to pull the air box each time you need to replace the passenger side bulb.
I think the greater light output and 5 times greater lifespan of the HID for just $20 more is the best solution.
I do have to admit that just changing to a whiter Silverstar halogen bulb is an easy option though and might appeal to some.

leafman60

Reaction score
I have used the Silverstars for years and still use them in several vehicles. I like the white light and use them for high beams on my Tahoe.
Something that needs to be considered for low beam use is the very short bulb life and high cost of $50 or so a pair. Another consideration is the pain it is to pull the air box each time you need to replace the passenger side bulb.
I think the greater light output and 5 times greater lifespan of the HID for just $20 more is the best solution.
I do have to admit that just changing to a whiter Silverstar halogen bulb is an easy option though and might appeal to some.

Well, I have experienced pretty good life from the Silverstars, even the Ultra version. If the DRL mode is low voltage, as already said, that should help with life.

I am thinking about going with the Ultra Silverstars for the low beams and the CREE LED's from Cyclops for the high beams.

I have not yet determined what bulb GM uses for the high beams.

My experience with the new LED's is good and gives them an edge in my book over the more cumbersome HID set-up.

I wonder about the difficulty of converting to the LTZ system where the GM LED strip runs full bright for DRL and the low beams are off during the day. I may be more likely to go for that over running the capacitor/relay system for full intensity low beams as DRL.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the Opt7 55w kit, and the darn vehicle plug to the headlight doesn't match the kit's plugs... urgh!

Must not be are doing it right. Right side vehicle plug goes into capacitor. New harness plugs into other connector of capacitor. No connection to driver's side vehicle harness plug.
Then other connectors from harness go to each ballast and wires from each ballast go to each bulb. Plugs and connectors mate male to female so they only go to together one way.
Should be straightforward.

Last edited:

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vehicle's male plug doesn't fit into the capacitor's female connector. I chose to connect the harness on the passenger side, due to the availability of the fuse terminals next to the vehicle's battery on the passenger side.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Try connecting the vehicle plug into the new harness without the capacitor to see if it fits. Possibly they sent you the wrong capacitor. You might also check to see if the capacitor can plug into your H11 halogen bulb.

Make sure you are using the low beam vehicle connector and not the high beam connector. I assume you already know that the low beam is directly behind the 3" round cover and you need to drill a hole in that cover to run the wire through it right?

By the way, the passenger side is the right side of the vehicle (orientation is from drivers seat) and you are correct that it is easier to connect the harness on that side.

1sik_hoe

Reaction score
Just installed my opt7 canbus hid kit and now after about 5 minutes both lights start flashing.any way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Just installed my opt7 canbus hid kit and now after about 5 minutes both lights start flashing.any way to fix this? Thanks in advance!

I installed several of these kits for my friends as well as on my own Tahoe. On one of them, one of the crimped connections was loose and caused a flashing light problem like you mention.
I replaced the wire between the relay and power source with a heavier 12 gauge and that took care of the problem. I used a dental pick to release the tab on the relay terminal to remove it from the socket and soldered a new terminal on the #12 wire. Just a 5 minute job.