Correct Wheels for TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lreaves

Reaction score
05 Tahoe that came with steel wheels which have been replaced with stock chevy aluminum (looks just like my 03 suburban wheels)wheels. Current wheels do not have tire pressure monitors installed and I continually get the "Service Tire Pressure Monitor" message on the dash. I have monitors from a 05 chevy tahoe. Can these monitors be installed on the aluminum wheels that are on my Tahoe now? Thanks

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question.. Do they have to be reprogrammed? Reason I ask is when I gor rid of my stockers the sensors went with them. I picked up a set off ebay and installed them on the 24's. They didn't read and the dude at the tire shop said they needed to be programmed to the truck. (which I've yet to do if this is true)

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the sensors have to be programmed but it's easy and how to do it is explained in the owner's manual (I can't remember the exact steps).

I've been searching up wheels on Tire Rack and noticed that certain alloy wheels aren't compatible with the sensors. I wonder why?

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to turn the ignition to the on position, then turn the light switch on and off three times. You will hear the horn honk twice, at this point you can either add air to the tires or let it out starting with the front left and working your way around. After you put the air in wait a few seconds and you will hear the horn honk once to let you know that it has picked up the signal from the sensor and you can move on to the next one. Once all four are done, turn the ignition switch off and your good to go. I just had my wheels put on this past weekend and I had to do the same thing to reprogram mine. Its pretty cool how smart these trucks are. All this is in the owners manual but if you dont have it, hope this helps.

lreaves

Reaction score
Wheels and TPMS

Thanks to eveyone for replying. Sure makes dealing with these "opportunities" a lot easier. I appreciate your help.