Dash painting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry all - I had this in Technical Discussions and no one has responded - maybe someone will catch it here....

I searched for a thread - bound to be one - sorry if this is already addressed somewhere. My trim bezel - the large snap on piece that wraps around all the instruments - has the color wearing off. Comes from resting my hand on it while adjusting my windshield mounted GPS, I'm sure. I've cured myself of that habit, but the wear is done. I tried a leather repair kit and it worked for a while but eventually spotted and came off. Can someone tell me how to make this like new again? How to prep and paint (it's the pewter color)? I tried to order a replacement, but it was in perpetual backorder and I finally gave up. I even considered replacing it with wood trim - any suggestions there would be appreciated also. Thanks for your help!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If you have a specialty automotive upholstery store in your area, you should be able to find the exact color to match your interior. SEM makes a lot of automotive interior finishes. You're going to have to use a brush-on or spray prep adhesive promoter for plastic finishes. Without this, the new paint will start to flake and peel off over time. All you have to do is lightly sand the edges of where the worn spot is to feather in the old paint. Mash what you don't want painted. Then spray the entire area to be painted with the adhesive promotor. Once that is cured, finish off with a couple LIGHT coats of the paint and you should be done. I stress light coats because if it is too thick, the paint won't lay right and will be easier to chip or peel off later.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JK - you always have the answers. I was thinking that rather than mask I'd just paint the entire piece. It is quite easy to pop that piece off. Do you think I'd need to sand all the way down to bare plastic, or could I just 'rough up' the entire piece? I suppose the texturing will be lost, but that's okay. Thanks again for your help!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You can either sand the entire piece completely smooth or just lightly to scuff it. Either way, use rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth and wipe the entire piece down, then spray the promoter and paint.

diggz

Reaction score
Anyone else have tips on painting the Denali dash? It seems like the stock paint in this thing can be rubbed off with mild pressure.

I saw a thread somewhere that had someone actually do a sweet job repainting it, but now I can't find it.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumper Adhesion Promoter

If you have a specialty automotive upholstery store in your area, you should be able to find the exact color to match your interior. SEM makes a lot of automotive interior finishes. You're going to have to use a brush-on or spray prep adhesive promoter for plastic finishes. Without this, the new paint will start to flake and peel off over time. All you have to do is lightly sand the edges of where the worn spot is to feather in the old paint. Mash what you don't want painted. Then spray the entire area to be painted with the adhesive promotor. Once that is cured, finish off with a couple LIGHT coats of the paint and you should be done. I stress light coats because if it is too thick, the paint won't lay right and will be easier to chip or peel off later.
JK - found the exact match (SEM) for the interior finish from repaintsupply.com - also ordered what I thought was the right adhesion promoter. It is a bumper flexible sealer - and it IS an adhesion promoter. Did the prep and painting this afternoon and it turned out great. Absolutely great.

Last edited: