Ddm tuning hids!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please let us know how the 3rd option works out!

I will definitely post it up here on Thursday. I wont be installing the kit just yet but I will verify the bulb fitment.

I'm going to break my stock bulb to get it ready. As soon as the kit is delivered, I'll test fit the H3 in the stock bulb base. :thumbsup:

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All headlamp housings have screws to adjust the beam pattern up/down and side to side.

There's instructions for adjusting them in your manual. You need a flat wall to shine them against and a tape measure.

The problem in general with HID kits in halogen housings is that the amount of light from an HID bounces off the reflectors a lot more. As a result there is some light that "scatters" beyond what the reflective beam pattern should be. Adjusting your beams down a bit will help alleviate some of the "blinding" light which is now "scattering" upwards towards drivers eyes.

Example... to adjust beam pattern you put your truck at X distance from a wall and measure the height/width of the light pattern being projected onto the wall.

If you drop an HID kit in there and then go check your beam pattern on a wall, you will see the pattern is now larger and also "higher". Adjusting your beams down a bit will help correct it.

Keyword: "help" (not completely solve).

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I must have missed the screws when I took them off before. Thanks for the explanation!

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I'd stick to 35W kits. A 35W HID kit will give you a lot more light than a stock halogen. There's really no need to go with 55W kit for even more light unless you have projectors or something to avoid some of the light scatter/glare.

55W in the stock housings is going to really be a nuisance to other drivers.

Also, some fog housings are also adjustable but the screws are on the mounts of the housing. I havent taken a look at ours just yet to verify if they are adjustable or not.

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how H3C (or H3 mini) lamps would fit in the "honed out" 5202 bulb.

It seems the H3C will move the arc "back" a bit to the original place of the 5202 filament. It may help with the scatter issue.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I'd stick to 35W kits. A 35W HID kit will give you a lot more light than a stock halogen. There's really no need to go with 55W kit for even more light unless you have projectors or something to avoid some of the light scatter/glare.

55W in the stock housings is going to really be a nuisance to other drivers.

That is what I am worried about, when I first installed them. I got flashed a few times. Once I tilted them down, it was fine. But a bit lower than I wanted. Still good light.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard horrible things about H3C bulbs though. They dont last very long. Have not heard of anyone being able to verify them to last longer than 6-8months.

The H3C is an HID bulb that is the same size as a stock H3 Halogen bulb. It is a short round/stubby bulb. All other HID's are long/thin (likely for a reason).

Also, DDM and other "reputable" HID suppliers dont carry H3C's (which might also tell us something).

oimg_GC01947619_CA01950163.jpg

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I would like to take this opportunity to bash GM about using this stupid 5202 bulb.

Why choose this stupid bulb? It's not even stocked by Napa, Autozone, Pep-boys, etc...

I didnt want to break one of my stock bulbs to do the test. So I went to the store to pick up a spare for the test. I tried 8 different places. No luck. I dont live in the middle of nowhere either.

The only option is to go to the dealer for this bulb.

I called my brother in law just now (GMC service tech) to pick me up a 5202 from their parts dept. He told me the bulb is a GM only part which is why auto parts stores dont carry it. It's $30/ea. Luckily he's getting a discount on it so it should cost me $20 max.

What a pain...

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love GM and all but they do some stupid **** at times.
This whole fog bulb desing is one of them!

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPS.com
Delivered On: 01/29/2009
1:52 P.M.

Pics in about 3 hrs....

yatch07

Reaction score
hey bad63lac i hope to see some pictures of your set up with the h3 bulb in the fog lights

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 hours later.....:smilielol: c'mon, i hate waiting. I wanna see and get more impatient with them to get my fawkin lights. :D

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of days later......
Come back Bad63lac we need you!