Ddm tuning hids!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally installed my kits today. Here is the verdict on the H3 for fogs instead of 880's.

Pros:
-You dont need to directly glue the bulb to the fog housing.
-H3 bulb is shorter than 880, so not as close to the lens.
-H3/5202 base results in the bulb being further recessed (putting the bulb even further from the lens).

Cons:
-Need a $20 Uni-bit to do the install (I had one, no biggie)
-Still need to glue (silicon) the bulb to the drilled out 5202 base
-Adds more time to the install
-Need to use your stock 5202 bulbs as donor parts ($29/ea from dealer if you want to return to stock)

Here's the pics if anyone's curious...

Stock 5202 bulb
h3_01.jpg

Twist/remove prongs
h3_02.jpg

Separate metal shield from base
h3_03.jpg

Grab bulb and pull apart to separate all pieces
h3_04.jpg

Twist/snap to remove connector housing
h3_05.jpg

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snug the base in a vice (not too tight or your hole will end up ovalizing)
h3_06.jpg

Progress through the steps of the uni-bit to remove the center of the base
h3_07.jpg

Remove as much material as possible without going so thin as to cut through the recess for the rubber gromet
h3_08.jpg

Flip the base over and remove some material from the bottom to clean up the hole
h3_09.jpg

Run a bead of silicon along the inside lip of the 5202 base
h3_10.jpg

Insert the H3 bulb and make sure you are aligned properly (take note of orientation of 5202 base to fog housing)
h3_11.jpg

h3_12.jpg

Once the bulb is aligned to your liking, fill the rear of the 5202 base with silicon to fully secure the bulb in place. (sorry no pic)

Allow to dry for an hour or two. (I did this first before installing the ballasts and low-beam kit which allowed time for drying).

Sorry no pics of the lights on. Had to leave for a SuperBowl party before it was dark. I'll try tomorrow...

-Brian

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Bad63Lac!!
The only problem I think there is two worry about is whether the bulb will get hot enough to melt the suppounding plastic that you used as the base of the new bulb!

1sikhoe

Reaction score
GOOD JOB! I think I will do the exact same thing....hope to see some pics soon.....do you think it will cause heat damage to the lens?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i got good and bad news today. I got shipment of every kit but the Bi-xenon kit. They said they are out of stock on 55W bi xenons. I could just change to a 35W, but I really want the 55Wers. But I should get my other kits in soon.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good.. badlac did you go with 35 or 55 watts for your low beams and fogs?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He used 35W kits for both SVT!
55W fogs would melt the housings quick!

yatch07

Reaction score
hey rolling thunder have you gotten any word about if the have send you the 55w bi-xenon kit just wondering because i am waiting to buy the same kit but in 8k color. Also Bad63lac have you taken any pictures with the h3 bulbs in the fog lights at night if you have how are they working for you haven made up my mind if i should go with the 880 kit or the h3 kit.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Bad63Lac!!
The only problem I think there is two worry about is whether the bulb will get hot enough to melt the suppounding plastic that you used as the base of the new bulb!

No probs with the base. That plastic is extremely hard material made to withstand heat. The problem is the reflective coating on the housing

GOOD JOB! I think I will do the exact same thing....hope to see some pics soon.....do you think it will cause heat damage to the lens?

Plastic lens is OK too.

After about 2 hours of use w/ 35W HID's, I can see that the chrome reflective foil on the fog housing is starting to bubble. I'll be removing these things soon. Should have stuck w/ halogens in the fogs but I decided to ignore my gut feeling... :(

HIDs in the low beams, stick w/ halogens for the high/fog. ;)

yatch07

Reaction score
hey rolling thunder no word about the h13 55w bi-xenon kit i am about to order mine today just wondering?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey rolling thunder no word about the h13 55w bi-xenon kit i am about to order mine today just wondering?

Yea they have them. Im kinda angry as I got the kit in last thursday only with H7 bulbs insted of the bi-xenon bulbs. I sent them the bulbs back and should have them by thursday.

yatch07

Reaction score
rolling thunder did you ever got all your hid kit install i was wondering about the Mr Taillight harness for the fog lights to stay on with the high beams was the kit plug and play.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rolling thunder did you ever got all your hid kit install i was wondering about the Mr Taillight harness for the fog lights to stay on with the high beams was the kit plug and play.

no and im kinda glad I didnt. As one light is leaking now. But The new bulbs should be here tuesday according to UPS. Took for ever to exchange them. But I hope they get it right this time.

I have not ordered the thing from MR tail light, But I think GetWired got one. I wish he would post more pics of it.

phonedrn8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking to upgrade also, I want to get the proj. head light assemblys. will thoeswork with a HID set up? bulb length , heat and beam pattern?

Im kinda late to doing this but truck is paid off now so christmas come every month to me now now I can hook it up