Dealer and damage by careless employees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tint2sell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, Had an older Tahoe and am picky. Took it in for oil change and when I got home, the bumper had a dent. They said you should have pointed it out before you left. Now with a new 2007 denali, had it in for service at a different dealer,different state, it is black in color and was just washed by me. They decided to wash it after service and scratched the paint protection up very badly. ( I have it all along the bottom sides due to rocks kicking up because I have the automatic running boards). They had told me before they do not wash black vehicles, but did anyway. They said they would buff it, I do not trust them to do any paint work. My question is has anyone had problems like this from a dealer? I am not wanting to take it back to any dealer anymore but I will need service and most likely warranty work.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a very similar thread around here before, if you search around you may find it.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring it to a different dealer and tell them what has previously happened to you, they should be particularly careful.

I had a similar thing happen on my 2004 Tahoe which is navy blue. I brought it to a place to be hand washed and detailed, it was an expencive place with nice (like Porches and BMW) cars parked out front, so I thought they would be good. I picked it up around sundown so I didn't notice all the swirls and deep scratches they had put on it until the next morning. I brought it back and they said I should have said something about it when I picked it up.

Anyways, after two full (10 hour) days work on it, it's looking almost new again.

Now that you posted that I'm going to make sure they don't wash my Z71 when I bring it in for work next week. It's only been to the Chevy dealer once in 20k miles for minor work, but will be in for a few days next week.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Lady took in her custom Mustang GT to the dealership for service. One of the techs decided to take it for a spin and dog it. Well, he posted it up on a local racing site about how he took this lady's 'stang out and ran it past 140mph, did donuts, etc, etc. He went on and described the entire car; all the mods, including the custom paint scheme, supercharger, etc. Just so happens the owner of the car is one of the members of the site and read the post the next day. She went out to take a closer look at the car and found shredded rubber stuck to the underside of the rear quarters. She got a lawyer, the tech was fired, and the dealership bought her a new set of tires and offered her free oil changes and scheduled maintenance for a year.
This is why I'm glad I grew up working on cars and can perform all the work myself. It's hard to trust even reputable dealerships these days.
Sorry to hear about what happened to your vehicles. Hopefully it works out in the end for you.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a technician for a Volvo dealership in the bay area. It does suck, but you may have to point out your dent,scratches, etc... to the service writer before you leave. At 2/3 of the dealerships that I have worked for, we performed "walk arounds" of the vehicle to have the damages documented for the customer. I know that at my dealership, we have had some damage done to cars and we make sure to get the damage repaired before we retrun the car to the customer. You may want to try other dealers and just find one that you like. Also keep in mind that when you take you car to ANY shop to make sure you take money, cd's, dvd's, etc... out of the car. There is fine print at the bottom of repair orders stating that the company is not liable for lost or stolen itmes from the car. My friend had his 69 cutlass 442 at a body shop for theft recovery, and while there is 20's were stolen from there and they did not help him out at all. Just FYI.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Before we touch any cars, I make sure my guys do a walk around and perform a checklist with the customers of any interior/exterior damage, and perform a quick check of anything that might not be working properly. With proper documentation, we avoid a lot of claims that customers try to blame us for.
Matt14 made some good points. Be sure to go over your vehicle and note anything with the service writer or tech, mechanic, etc before you have any work done to your car.

tint2sell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. The dealer I go to now that scratched the paint, well my extended warranty states I need to go to them for the no deductable. If I go to another dealer it is $100.00 deductable. I should have never got that warranty, live and learn. I believe my factory 3 year I can go to any dealer with no deductable.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go to any dealer if you still have the basic warranty. I've never heard of a free deductible only through the dealer that you purchased the truck through. What kind of extended warranty did you purchase?

tint2sell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, the no deductible is if I only take it to the dealer I bought it from. They said they do that to get the buyer to come back and make the money from GM. It is in writing as well. So that did help me decide to purchase the extended.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a dealer with one of my vettes. Every time I took it in for service something happened. I mean everything from them "accidentally" rolling the toolbox into the side of my car to them taking it out for a drive with their wife or girlfriend - how did I know? She left he Armani sunglasses in the car and I had to explain that to my girlfriend when she discovered them that evening when I got my vette back :eek:

Needless to say, I stay away from them now... :nonod:

This was Huffines in Plano, TX if anyone reads this in the area.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a dealer with one of my vettes. Every time I took it in for service something happened. I mean everything from them "accidentally" rolling the toolbox into the side of my car to them taking it out for a drive with their wife or girlfriend - how did I know? She left he Armani sunglasses in the car and I had to explain that to my girlfriend when she discovered them that evening when I got my vette back :eek:

could have said that it was the cross dressing dealers sun glasses:smilielol:

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is has anyone had problems like this from a dealer? I am not wanting to take it back to any dealer anymore but I will need service and most likely warranty work.

yea when i had my 03 cobra and was on those boards i read some threads where once a tech test drove a kb'ed cobra and put it into a side rail and totaled it. also read a thread where someone dropped a cobra off a two post lift..

has anyone dealed with dealer/ tech/ anyone incompetence??
-- hell yes.

Lady took in her custom Mustang GT to the dealership for service. One of the techs decided to take it for a spin and dog it. Well, he posted it up on a local racing site about how he took this lady's 'stang out and ran it past 140mph, did donuts, etc, etc. He went on and described the entire car; all the mods, including the custom paint scheme, supercharger, etc. Just so happens the owner of the car is one of the members of the site and read the post the next day. She went out to take a closer look at the car and found shredded rubber stuck to the underside of the rear quarters. She got a lawyer, the tech was fired, and the dealership bought her a new set of tires and offered her free oil changes and scheduled maintenance for a year.
This is why I'm glad I grew up working on cars and can perform all the work myself. It's hard to trust even reputable dealerships these days.
Sorry to hear about what happened to your vehicles. Hopefully it works out in the end for you.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea when i had my 03 cobra and was on those boards i read some threads where once a tech test drove a kb'ed cobra and put it into a side rail and totaled it. also read a thread where someone dropped a cobra off a two post lift..

has anyone dealed with dealer/ tech/ anyone incompetence??
-- hell yes.

i had a car that was dropped, i watched it happen, Got there a bit early to pick it up (new tires, tune up, oil change, basic insurance) so anyway, he said come on back were just putting the wheels on, well as they were lowering it, the dude stopped and started again, julting the lift and BANG, right on its ass end. Nice car too, they were able to repair it though. only fell 4 ft. Older lincoln continental, not lincoln's best car though, was happy to get back to cadillacs. But the lincoln sure looked nice, even though it was 8 years old.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny i was in the stealership today and watched an 08 burban come crashing down landing on its side was in for it's first oil change now i guess it needs a little more :)

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust many dealers, and the one I do trust, I have to travel 45 miles to get to.

I was banned from one of the local dealers because I wouldn't let them take my car for a "joy ride". They inssisted they had to take the car for a ride, even though I was only there to get a gas cap (it stopped threading), yet they NEEDED to take it for a ride to test this.....lol needless to say, a lot of words were exchanged and I was banned...lol

I brought one of my other cars to another dealer because the brakes were bad on it at 3000 miles. They took the car for a 20 mile joy ride, switched all my CD's and then said they were going to void my warranty because I had an intake....lol

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took my 08 Hoe to the dealership for a new rear door lock actuator. The lazy POS tech scratched the hell out of my inside door panel and the faux wood trim panel by the window switch. I raised hell and they ordered a new one. Why cant these idiots take pride in their work?

Ickulus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is with people?

Had a similar problem, had leather installed and the bastards stole my ipod! I didn't realize it was gone till I got home, and they gave me the same BS response. They told me that they do thousands of dollars with this company and they would never jeopordize this. So, they were basically called me a liar. What crap. I have been leaving messages since I have unfortuneatly out of town for work. They are gonna catch some heck when I get back.....:mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but have been reading through the topics and posts over the past few days as I've factory ordered an 09 LTZ. But I thought I'd share a couple of separate but related incidents that happened to me.

I had my '97 LT in a dealer shop to have the rear drive gears replaced as they were making a horrible noise. The repair seemed to have gone okay. About a month later the noise from the rear end started again, but a lot worse. I was out of town (in the old home town) and took it to a mechanic I trusted. When he took the rear end apart, he found that the dealer who did the first repair had left a couple springs just sitting in there from the first repair, which had ruined the new gears. As if this wasn't bad enough, he pointed out a long deep scratch along the length of the drive shaft. He did a test and found the drive shaft to be bent. He told me that the only way a bend and scratch like that could have happened would have been a hoist had not been set properly when the truck was raised allowing the hoist to come into contact with the drive shaft. To make a long story shorter. The dealer refunded my money for the second rear end repair since I had the proof, mangled springs, but wouldn't do anything about the drive shaft since I had no proof. Even though the dealer was the only place that had serviced my Tahoe up until that point. So I was out of pocket for a new drive shaft and install. I never went back to that dealer after that.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Huffines in Plano Texas huh?
I'll be very careful when I take my car to the dealer from now on, because my car was bought at Huffines in Lewisville Texas so I guess i'm at risk for BS like that, a good thing to do when you drop off you car at the dealer is to check the miles on it, makesure somebody doesn't get to comfortable with it!