Denali or LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Personally I didn't expect stellar millage, it does ok in my opinion as I have a lead foot. I get to the speed limit faster than some. We bought the Tahoe mostly for comfort and safety, fuel mileage wasn't a serious consideration.
We bought the Tahoe LT2 know it was big and safe and my wife (who has great taste) has always like Tahoe's.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know a way to solve this, someone go out and buy both the Tahoe and the Denali and drive one for a week then the other the next week and compare mileage :D. At this point I also am having trouble choosing between the Tahoe and Denali, although for me it is mostly about cost. If I manage to save up enough money (probably ending up making payments the rest of my life) I will buy the Denali, and I don't care how bad the mileage is and how expensive gas gets, I have a VW Golf as my way of giving the oil companies the finger. But on the other hand I love the looks of the Tahoe and it is much cheaper, but if I have the money I will definately get the Denali, unless they finally put a diesel in the Tahoe than hands down I will buy that, no matter how good the 6.3 is in the Denali. Diesel stomps gas every day of the week! :Chevy:

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm that guy who was comparing my gas mileage to my neighbors Denali, and came under attack about "driving habits". Well, I traded in our Yukon XL for a Yukon XL Denali. Now that I have owned both and "driving habits" isn't a factor anymore, I can tell you that my Denali gets almost 12 mpg when my Yukon got 15 mpg. That's more then 20% worse mpg for the Denali, so my original claim was pretty darn accurate. I've actually owned 3 of the new GMT900 SUV's since they were released so I would say I have a pretty good feel for them.

Crazydefense32 thought the only way to resolve this was for someone to go out and buy both, and I did:D . MPG is a deciding factor for some and hopefully these numbers will help. Personally I am all about HP! Hope this helps some who are trying to get real world numbers.

For what it's worth my 5.3L Tahoe got almost 10% better mileage (16mpg)then my 5.3Yukon XL (15mpg), and my 6.2L XL Denali gets a little more then 20% worse then that (almost 12mpg).

vkuber

Reaction score
I was in the same situation for a Denali or LTZ. I want to lift my vehicle. They said in order to do that, *THEY* = dealership - Has to be a all wheel drive. On the two wheel drive, you can't lift it because of the auto suspension or what ever they were talking about. I might be wrong on what I am talking about, and if I am please correct me. This is what I heard, or maybe I mixed things up. But because of that, I went with the LTZ.

White Out

Reaction score
Went from a '04 Denali to '07 LTZ because of the better styling and near same interior. Unfortunatly it dosn't matter which engine b/c the 5.3 is getting the same mpg as the 6.2 advertised.

Nick

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went from a '04 Denali to '07 LTZ because of the better styling and near same interior. Unfortunatly it dosn't matter which engine b/c the 5.3 is getting the same mpg as the 6.2 advertised.

Hey whiteout, don't you mean your Daddy went from an '04 Denali to '07 LTZ?

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference for some might be the available Z71 option on the Tahoe which is not available on the Denali. With 33" tires the Z71 is capable of some nice off-roading.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference for some might be the available Z71 option on the Tahoe which is not available on the Denali. With 33" tires the Z71 is capable of some nice off-roading.

I don't think the new Z71 is designed for off road as much as the old one was, the one just looks like a "dressed up" version of an LTZ. :Chevy:

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take is a bit different than viewing the Z71 as "dressed up". HD shocks and suspension, ample skid plates, an auto rear locker, higher gears, and with towing a tranny aux. cooler. Add 2 1/2" lift and 33" tires and it is, IMHO, a nice off roader (I have had a jeep, full size Bronco, Z71 pickup, and a Rover and find the Tahoe to be extremely competent). If this is the type of vehicle that someone is looking for it is simply not an option with the Denali, that was my only point.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This coming from a guy who drives Subarus.:ack:

txshriner

Reaction score
my vote was for none of the above!

my friend bought a 5.3 ltz last month and i bought a ltz with the 6.2 with 6 speed auto trans this week. i finished the first tank last night and by the calculator got a little over 16mpg! i looked at them all(even the escalade) and the 6.2 ltz had it all and my drive out was only a few hundred more than my friend with the 5.3 ltz!:thumbsup:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait and get a tahoe with the 6.2/6speed at 0 or 1.9%, gm is trying to get rid of trucks already just think when the gas prices go up even more.

jperaino

Reaction score
The Denali with the 6 speed is the way to go. The 4 speed tahoe is old technology.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, glad it was brought back from October, not for the title since now you can have either one with a 6.2-6, but because gmcul8er said he drove both 5.3-4 and 6.2-6 and reported 3mpg difference. He also owned a couple of yappers. 3 is probably accurate, I can believe it. I'd like to hear about the same thing from others. Don't listen to those who say the 6 speed makes up for the extra fuel consumption, it might just take the edge off it 10, 20% over a 4. Who cares though, I'd still pay extra for the 6.2 and it's gas w/6 speed if I could get it in my Z71.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Denali with the 6 speed is the way to go. The 4 speed tahoe is old technology.

You can get Denali or LTZ with 6.2-6 speed now, and all Tahoes are going to be 6 speed soon. I haven't even driven my Z71 yet and I know I won't regret it even later. I know what it is, right out to the 4.10 gears, and I'm fine with it. Yeah, I would like to try the 6 speed out. If it turns out to be a big deal later I'll put the 6 in myself, or a 4L80E (stronger 4 speed). But then i'm talking off road versatility with 4WD, so between the Denali and LTZ now having the same drivetrain, this is a tough call, I think it comes down to AWD vs 4WD. While the Denali looks like a road vehicle and looks great doing it, and might even handle better, some people like axle control and transfer cases for hitting the trail. Both trucks look good in their own respect. They'll both will be great with the 6 speed.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but because gmcul8er said he drove both 5.3-4 and 6.2-6 and reported 3mpg difference. He also owned a couple of yappers

I didn't say I drove both the 5.3-4 and 6.2-6, I stated that I have owned
2 different '07 5.3-4's for at least 5K miles each and now the 6.2-6 for 11K miles.

I have also owned a couple of yappers? Not exactly sure what that is suppose to mean :confused: . If you are talking about the Subaru's you got me confused with another member. You can see my other "yappers" in my signature, but you can cross out the Duramax and add an '06 Chrysler 300 SRT8 in it's place.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 different '07 5.3-4's for at least 5K miles each and now the 6.2-6 for 11K miles.

I have also owned a couple of yappers? Not exactly sure what that is suppose to mean :confused: . If you are talking about the Subaru's you got me confused with another member. You can see my other "yappers" in my signature, but you can cross out the Duramax and add an '06 Chrysler 300 SRT8 in it's place.

Oh no, man, the two yappers I was referring to were those two guys that were being lame and you set them straight. One was arguing about your test conditions, which you owned by having both trucks, and the other kid with the Subarus got owned too. Sorry, I may have been a little baked last night:cool2: It was no disrespect toward you whatsoever, and I was trying to say that you were same driving habits with the same route and showed a 3mpg difference, and that is probably real world accurate. Only other thing is I was hoping to hear that info from others in your shoes so I could get a good average, from feather to lead foots. Trust me, you owned this whole thread, I liked everything you said, and sorry for the confusion.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DUDE, i would have paid some coin your your silvi, why didnt you post it:thumbsup: i loved the mods you did to it.