detailing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike1951

Reaction score
What do you guys like to use on your running boards and the black plastic areas like door handles and the tops of the bumpers? I like a nice black shine on those areas.. right now I have used armor all a few times but it does not work too well.. Way back in high school... 12 years ago the detail shop used a clear goop that worked really well, but I have not been able to find it nor did I ever find out what it was called.
Any suggestions?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mother's back to black, just don't coat the hell out of the running boards or you'll defeat the purpose.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep Back To Black is what I just used on mine. It's available at AutoZone. It does make them a little slick.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mother's back to black is alright if the plastic isn't in too bad of shape.

If the plastic is pretty faded or cloudy, I've noticed that Meguires Plastic Cleaner followed by Meguires Plastic Polish does the job.

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score
What do you guys like to use on your running boards and the black plastic areas like door handles and the tops of the bumpers? I like a nice black shine on those areas.. right now I have used armor all a few times but it does not work too well.. Way back in high school... 12 years ago the detail shop used a clear goop that worked really well, but I have not been able to find it nor did I ever find out what it was called.
Any suggestions?

I like both Zaino Z16 and Poorboys Bold & Bright...they both are a low gloss water based dressing but can be layered for more gloss. They both work great on running boards because they produce a nice black look, but they are dry to the touch, so they aren't as slippery as other dressings.

I don't have any shots of them on running boards but you can get an idea of the gloss with one and two coats of Poorboys Bold and Bright on my tires:

One coat -

bnb_1.jpg

Two coats -

bnb_2.jpg

Now if they are faded, then I'd recommend Poorboys Trim restorer - here is a review on it:

Poorboys Trim Restorer

jmitchell

Reaction score
I recommend the Zaino Z16 as well. Works great on the running boards and tires. Low gloss but can get results of higher gloss based on amount used in application. Plus it protects against UV rays and it smells so yummy!

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question...

Im a meguairs person, and i purchasedthe leather wipes/conditioner from walmart. I used themand they removed the stain but left it oily.... anyone else had this issue and how did you remove the excess oils so u can sit down?

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score
Another question...

Im a meguairs person, and i purchasedthe leather wipes/conditioner from walmart. I used themand they removed the stain but left it oily.... anyone else had this issue and how did you remove the excess oils so u can sit down?

I personally have never used them but anytime I use any cleaner or conditioner on leather seats I always remove the excess cleaner/conditioner with a cotton or microfiber towel and buff them dry.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are u saying just wipe down the seat with a towel? The buff them dry.... explain more please.... i have my whole center console oily... but they look great.... lol

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score
Are u saying just wipe down the seat with a towel? The buff them dry.... explain more please.... i have my whole center console oily... but they look great.... lol

Yes, depending on the product used - cleaner: work the cleaner in the leather and remove the residue with a towel.

Conditioner - wipe the conditioner on the leather, let it dwell for about 1-2 minutes and buff off the leather with a clean towel.

Here is a couple of videos I did for Autogeek, they show Pinnacle and Wolfgang products, but the method will work for all leather cleaners and conditioners.

Pinnacle - Click on "interior"

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/pinnacle.html

Wolfgang -

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/wolfgang.html

Last edited:

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotcha...

The meguairs wipes say cleaner/conditioner....

So I guess for next time I need to just let it sit for a few seconds and then buff it down...

Thanks for the info.

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score
gotcha...

The meguairs wipes say cleaner/conditioner....

So I guess for next time I need to just let it sit for a few seconds and then buff it down...

Thanks for the info.

The wipes are great for quick clean up/conditioning, but I'd recommend doing a seperate cleaner and conditioner once every few months. This will keep the leather looking good and also removes any dirt and oil build up.

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score
Your feelings on my brand of choice?

Meguiars make great products, and like I said the wipes work great at prolonging the cleaning/conditioning process, but they are limited in their abilities.

What I use for a cleaner is a solution of Woolite & water (1:10 or 1:8 ratio) it works just as good, if not better, than dedicated leather cleaners.

For Conditioners, I haven't used Meguiars for years so I don't know how it is...My favorite conditioner is Zaino Leather conditioner. My only gripe with it is they only sell it in 8oz. bottles. It leaves a nice matte finish, great leather smell and doesn't leave the surface slick. Pinnacle and Wolfgang are almost as good as Zaino and they sell them in larger sizes.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you seen to be very knowledgable about detailing and all, so im assuming your a professional at this, so where can i get some Zaino and were can i get a brush that i can use on my leather seats...

They came in great condition and i want to keep them that way..

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score
Well you seen to be very knowledgable about detailing and all, so im assuming your a professional at this,

Not a professional (more of a weekend warrior) just have a passion for detailing.

so where can i get some Zaino and were can i get a brush that i can use on my leather seats...

They came in great condition and i want to keep them that way..

Zaino can only be purchased through Zaino's website...but Pinnacle and Wolfgang's leather conditioner are pretty close in quaily, smell and appearance.

Autogeek has a variety of leather brushes...I'd recommend a stiff leather and horse hair brush. I've also had good look with the Mr. Clean Magic eraser. Be careful with the Magic Eraser though, if its dry and not well saturated with a cleaning solution, it can be a bit abrasive.

To help keep them looking the best -Spot clean them when needed and clean and condition them monthly.

Another tip is to not slide in and out, this will help the bolster from developing a wear pattern or breaking down.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try not to slide down out my seats... and I tell my gf to step down onto my running boards... but sometimes I forget...

Where on autogeek is that brush....?