Did My Tranny Just Crap Out On Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lindgren

Reaction score
Hello,
I know nothing about cars. these are the symptoms of my 02 Yukon slt at 98,000 miles.
driving at 55mph i floored it for 5 seconds, my rpms go shoot up to 6000; however my MPH only increased by 2pmh??? I can drive 70mph if i increase slowly... i just cant floor it...
And i have not had a tranny fluid change, do i just need to change the fluids? or did i mess up the trannys?
Any help would be awesome.
Thanks

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a new one. Once it starts slipping changing the fluid will not help. Also you should post in the section for your year. This is for 2007 +

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like major transmission slippage. Does the same thing happen in all gears? My bet would be that one or more of the clutch packs are done. Time for a trip to a transmission shop.

Lindgren

Reaction score
It only happens when i get around 55+.. and even then i can still accelerate normally, its just when i floor it... What are "clutch packs" and are they exspensive?

Thanks

Lindgren

Reaction score
No unusual noises... just sounds like the i am in Neutral and reving it.
what is "DIY"?

Thanks
i will check out the link. :)

KarenCaren

Reaction score
Changing fluid will not help anymore dude. Its a tranny problem. Drive it to the nearest mechanic and let them check and change it.

FATHERFORD

Reaction score
Auto's can be DIY if you have a real good step by step manual on re-building them. The parts are cheap, it's the labor you pay big bucks for.

Make sure and take it to someone who knows what they are doing on these 4l60E's. It is possible to make them last. See if you can find a local hot rod transmission builder. Usually those guys know the little tricks to make them work.

The servo mods and just regular shift kits help, but it's not the cure. The valve body needs to be reworked/redesigned and you wont have any problems. If you are tearing it apart anyway, might as well add extra clutch packs as well. Don't forget the bigger oil pan and larger aftermarket cooler.

Last edited:

stbeverlin

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a new one. Once it starts slipping changing the fluid will not help. Also you should post in the section for your year. This is for 2007 +

while visiting this thread, it shows 2000-2006 catagory. Sounds like both 2000-06-2007+ are linked somehow.

neloms

Reaction score
No unusual noises... just sounds like the i am in Neutral and reving it.

Yeah bro, it could be your transfer case. I have the Z71 4x4 and that is exactly what happened to me in the middle of nowhere, CA. I was in cruise control, 70mph, and it would slip out of gear and rev. It might only happen at certain speeds right now, but get it looked at now! Soon you'll be stranded on the side of the road, with no gears, including reverse (that's what happened to me). Hope it's under waurantee!