Dies after starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 99' tahoe will start up ok, but right away the engine will loose all power and completly die or loose power and idle at about 300 RPM. If i rev the engine or give it a little gas i can get it running ok. This has just started recently and i havent noticed a previous problem. I was told the starter needed to be replaced, could this be the trouble ? Any oppinons ?

telmd

Reaction score
It sounds more like a fuel issue than a starter issue. Engine needs the proper fuel/air ratio to run properly. I would start at cheapest ie....fuel filter and go from there. Also you may want to check the fuel pressure at the rail.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, def. check the fuel pressure, its easy to get to the access point, if you look at your Intake Manifold, where the air comes in, you can look down on the right (if your facing it) and you will see two metal lines running into the IM, follow them back a little and jump over the Hose, you will see a little screw on cap - you can check the fuel pressure there - now the Fuel Pressure Guage is 39.99 at Autozone - you could however, go and buy a new fuel filter, and while installing it (while the Old one is out, and before the New one is in) - have a friend turn the key on, and see how fast the gas is coming out (watch your eyes) - now, if it is just barely coming out, than its the fuel sender unit - if it is Flying out than its ok - remember it needs to be coming out at around 55psi - if it seems like it is only coming out like 10psi (water hose effect comes out, and then just drapes down kinda fast but not really) if it is 55psi than it will shoot like a water gun and gas will go everywhere - just turn the key back off.. if your anything like me i had to hollar at my friend who shut the door with the window up... *erg (gas got in my eye) - i just replaced my fuel sender assy. again... and i bought the fuel pressure guage, but went ahead and checked it by doing the fuel filter method first wound up taking the guage back because it was un-opened

chris6789

Reaction score
check the fuel pump

had the same problem in my 99. changed the filter; didn't fix it. fuel pump was bad. of course, i had just filled up so i took it to a shop to let them deal with it. the mechanic told me that the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in the tank. if your like me, and run your tank almost empty before filling up, it can burn up the fuel pump. don't know if it's true or not but once the fuel pump was replaced, no more problems.

telmd

Reaction score
Running your tank almost empty can also allow trash to be sucked into the fuel filter causing it to become blocked up which will also put a strain on the fuel filter.....as a rule i try to never let my tank get below 1/4 tank