Distributor upgrade question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone swap out the oem distributor for one w/ an aluminum lower housing?
Supposedly, the oem plastic housing strips easy.

Reason I ask, is that I will be changing my cap/rotor soon, and wondering if I should upgrade it. Some people say that this can help the "hot engine/no start issue". This happen to me once so far... stopped to check air in my tires a few weeks ago, and when I get back in to start her up... it just cranked but wouldnt catch. Kinda like a dead ignition. After a several minutes, it started fine, and hasn't had any issues again... but just makes me wonder when it'll do this again.

Anyway, back to the distributor... if you guys did upgrade/swap... then which one did you go w/, and have you had any good/bad effects w/ them?

One by one.. I want to make this truck perfect again...

Thanks for your input!~

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we talked about it a little bit back when you gave me the idea for the 6A.

I couldnt find a cool aftermarket distributor. No one at MSD wanted to help me, either. It has to be labeled for a different application for the Vortec.. or something.. my vortech box is gone... I can put in a taller one, but cant find it..

your 100% correct on the stock one stripping out at the screw holes. I would rather spend extra on a new tech distributor than know there is a crucial part under my hood held together with zip ties.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha... yea.. I agree... I remember you were looking for a distributor upgrade. I wish there was an easy route. Oh well. The reason I ask, is I saw some on Ebay... w/ the aluminum housing. Wonder if they were reliable source. I want to change my cap rotor soon, so it would be nice to find a better/reliable alternative to the stock one...

There's gotta be SOMEONE out there that has upgraded their distributor.... ANYONE??

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting. Im waiting to hear how its performaing and such..

seems like a great price when you buy in bulk... I wonder if we should try that...