Door says Hypertech chip? How do I know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannyboy0818

Reaction score
I just purchased a 05 Yukon Denali and the door says it has a hypertech installed. Is there a way I can check to see if there is a chip or if it's programed with a hand held? It seems like with the lightest foot available it is only getting 12 I know that's not bad but I that's never going over 2k rpm and mostly 60 highway. I think it might be tuned for performance and not economy.

Dannyboy0818

Reaction score
What are you needing a picture of ? It is just a generic sticker on the driver's door saying this vehicle has hyper tech tuning.

scott05law

Reaction score
Find the computer and see if it has a chip attached to it...

Scott

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can take it to a dealer to verify the integrity of the current tune or if you know anyone with a superchips flashpaq they won't allow a tune if it isn't stock. I'd just order up a blackbear tune, I can't seem to get worse than 14.5mpg driving like a lunatic.

Dannyboy0818

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can find the computer to check? I am looking at getting the black bear tune as soon as I can already been talking to Justin. Just need the tax return to come in. I just hate to pay the labor rate at a dealer and they rarely know what's going on at $80 an hour.

Timcan

Reaction score
I've got the 01 Yukon, 5.3 and wish I could do something to improve the mileage. Don't know much about chips and stuff. Where can I learn more about what it costs and what I need?
timcan

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the 01 Yukon, 5.3 and wish I could do something to improve the mileage. Don't know much about chips and stuff. Where can I learn more about what it costs and what I need?
timcan

Don't go with an off the shelf unit if you don't have to. There are a lot of good tuners that can reprogram your computer to get better mileage, power, etc. The advantage to a tuner is that they can tune your computer to your driving habits, desires, location, etc., rather that just going with a generic type of program.
Although I don't have one, I've heard nothing but good things about Black Bear. I'm sure if you shoot Jennabear a PM, she can get a pointed in the right direction.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to agree with most of what has been said. I bought the 300/400 dollar hypertech from ebay for less than 200.00, but all that really helped with was the shifting points. Make sure to tell him how tall your tires are and remove most, if not all the torque management. I freaking hate torque management....