Dual Alternators for 07/08 Tahoe/Suburbans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pervitizm

Reaction score
I have an 07 LT Suburban, which I believe has the 160amp alternator. I want to run a dual alternator system for my truck because I'm about to install a hi-powered audio system in the truck. I'm trying to find a kit that will allow me to keep my factory alt while running another 250 - 300 amp alt that will run independent from the factory system. So in theory the second alternator would only power the two additional batteries that will be in the truck. Nothing factory related would be power by the second alt.

Anyone have any ideal? I'm open to all suggestions. However if someone here is already running dual alt and advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
My first post on tahoefourm.com

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a 96 tahoe and he made his own... Worked with a local alternator guy to work out the amp's details and fabbed up his own bracket.... some turbo setups have an alternator relocation setup... maybe you can look into one of those (PTK i think)?

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much power do you need? Why not put in a seperate battery and capacitor?

pervitizm

Reaction score
How much power do you need? Why not put in a seperate battery and capacitor?

I'll be running right around 5k and the stock alt alone won't be able to do the job. I plan on running two additional batteries along with the stock setup. The whole ideal is to be able to keep my stereo's electrial system seperate from everything else.

Adding more batteries without a way to properly recharge them will cause more problems for me in the long run. Thank you for the suggestion though.

DRINKSALOTOF151

Reaction score
i have a 08 tahoe i just purchased a second alt from ohio generato and i also purchased a plate from them to run both alt that part cost around 300 and comes with pulley who ever is doing stereo install should be able to tell u where to get another alt

pervitizm

Reaction score
i have a 08 tahoe i just purchased a second alt from ohio generato and i also purchased a plate from them to run both alt that part cost around 300 and comes with pulley who ever is doing stereo install should be able to tell u where to get another alt

How much was the alternator from Ohio Generators and what was it rating max/idle? Also do you have pictures of it installed in your 08 by any chance? Pictures would help me out alot.:thumbsup: