Edge Evolution or Volant Intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought one yesterday.... i selected option 2 and took the "economy" tune... does anyone know what they change for this.... i dont want to loose any power.... i dont know if it is my imagination but i think the truck goes into "v4" mode more and stays longer in "v4" mode now.....

I don't know for sure about the V4 mode, but I know that it readjust the shift points in the transmission for more efficiency and adjust the timing and air fuel ratio for optimum performance and better MPG. I did noticed on mine that it did seem to give you more power even on option 2. Also you will gain performance in terms of the transmission settings because the vehicle wil shift gears faster, that is why you wil experienced that firmer shifting. If you use option 4 make sure that you fill the tank with premium fuel preferably 93 octane and drive it for a while before reprograming the ECM. I filled mine today with premium fuel and selected option 4(exterem performance) and because there was still some regular fuel in the lines I experience pingin in the engine. After the premium fuel mixed with the regular remaining in the tank and the lines burn the regular fuel that was remaining on them I have no problem other than keeping my foot of the gas:D :thumbsup:

ki4izq

Reaction score
i am now a believer

i will admit i have always been skeptical about the claims these companies have about their products. but now i will admit i am starting to believe. as i said in previous post, i bought the edge evolution and installed the economy tune. i drive about 50 miles a day to work and back. usually i get 16.8mpg today i got 18.2. i know one day doesnt prove a whole lot but i am happy to see some return for my money. i was also happy with the transmission feel during shifts... i paid $399.12 at my local speed shop. i think i will get my money worth out of this device just in the "fun" factor....

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will admit i have always been skeptical about the claims these companies have about their products. but now i will admit i am starting to believe. as i said in previous post, i bought the edge evolution and installed the economy tune. i drive about 50 miles a day to work and back. usually i get 16.8mpg today i got 18.2. i know one day doesnt prove a whole lot but i am happy to see some return for my money. i was also happy with the transmission feel during shifts... i paid $399.12 at my local speed shop. i think i will get my money worth out of this device just in the "fun" factor....

I'm glad your happy with your EVO!

No wonder they called it evolution!

Your vehicle really evolves with this Programmer!:thumbsup:

ki4izq

Reaction score
YES it does!!!! i set mine to 125.

by the way the manual says you can set it down also.... if you have a kid driver or a fleet of trucks for a business........

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES it does!!!! i set mine to 125.

by the way the manual says you can set it down also.... if you have a kid driver or a fleet of trucks for a business........

One might ask why. If you want to go that fast, I would suggest that the last vehicle of choice would be one that weighs in at close to 3 tons but that's just me. Get a Corvette. They say the new ZR1 will top 200. :wow:

ki4izq

Reaction score
yeah i know... i just set it to 125 as a lark just to see if it would...

i treat mine like a baby... i dont like driving fast anymore... its too dangerous... i mean dangerous as in loosing my license... too many busy-bodies with cell phones that will call the cops when you blow by them on the highway... its not like the good ole days... maybe i am getting to old....

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ki4zq,

Using your stated improved mileage, your cost of the system, and assuming $3.30 per gallon gas, the Edge will pay for itself in 26,608 miles! Not bad. Of course other's results will vary. Those using premium fuel will realize a sooner return on investment (ROI) based on higher fuel costs. Also a factor will be the price for oil. As gas becomes more and expensive, the ROI comes in fewer and fewer miles and then starts to pay you (in effect)!

My wife is an Investment Broker and the primary driver during weekdays. Pehaps if I can put it to her this way, she'll approve the expediture for me to get the Edge!

Last edited:

05LSV

Reaction score

So in this example, if you have a handful of business trucks, can you set each truck with the speed limiter using only 1 Edge Evolution, or do you have to buy a separate unit for each vehicle?

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't share the unit................it downloads the tune to your truck and stores your OE tune on the Edge.

ki4izq

Reaction score
the edge seems like a nice toy... i dont know if anyone can justify buying one..... 1 or 2 mpg is not drop in the bucket in real world savings... to me the value of the tuner is just in the novelty and "fun" factor... i was impressed by the fact i can view engine data.... i thought it was cool seeing what the computer was thought the percentage of alcohol is...
there is more value in the transmission tune, correcting speedo errors for new wheel and tire combos/gear changes, and viewing trouble codes....
the horsepower gains are modest at best.. i think they say a max of 40hp if running premium fuel and doing the max tune.... just my 2cents.... let flames begin.....

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...it downloads the tune to your truck and stores your OE tune on the Edge.

Woah... Wait a minute. You mean, if you fry your Edge or drop it in the toilet (like I recently did my cell:skep:) or throw it @ your kid for eating your last pickle, your OE tune is gone?!! :confused: Or is there an option to upload it to your home PC @ least?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woah... Wait a minute. You mean, if you fry your Edge or drop it in the toilet (like I recently did my cell:skep:) or throw it @ your kid for eating your last pickle, your OE tune is gone?!! :confused: Or is there an option to upload it to your home PC @ least?

Yep, that's what it means. The dealer will reprogram your PCM if you ask them to, next time your in there. You'll screw up your Evolution though, and may have to pay a recovery fee to Edge if you overwrite their tune in your PCM. But, if you've hosed the Evolution up that's less of an issue anyway.

Edge has just come out with a new program called Fusion (instead of Lightning) used to update the Evolution. It may be a lot different under the hood. I dunno, I'm just trying it out now. Will keep you updated.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's what it means. The dealer will reprogram your PCM if you ask them to, next time your in there. You'll screw up your Evolution though, and may have to pay a recovery fee to Edge if you overwrite their tune in your PCM. But, if you've hosed the Evolution up that's less of an issue anyway.

Edge has just come out with a new program called Fusion (instead of Lightning) used to update the Evolution. It may be a lot different under the hood. I dunno, I'm just trying it out now. Will keep you updated.

isnt a programmer UNDER THE HOOD, im way off on the whole preformance thing with computers, i bairly know how to turn my home computers ON.

but anyway, why would the programmer be clipped to your britches like a phone?? and dropped in the toilet while flushing the radiator.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Visit their website and download the manual. Reading is fundamental! :rolleyes: Naw, it doesn't "clip to your belt". It goes in the cabin and connects to the OBDII connector above the brake pedal. Nothing complicated here... You update it by connecting it via USB to your computer (with an Internet connection of course).

Last edited:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isnt a programmer UNDER THE HOOD, im way off on the whole preformance thing with computers, i bairly know how to turn my home computers ON.

but anyway, why would the programmer be clipped to your britches like a phone?? and dropped in the toilet while flushing the radiator.

Review post #24+ of the thread for Getwired and Yukonators' explanations... Come on, Man, keep up!!! :yaya:

:lol: