Edge Evolution or Volant Intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm installing Fusion right now, and it seems to be totally new firmware for the Edge. It's taking it's sweet time updating firmware and loading new calibrations. I'm quite anxious to see what's different, and if there's any enhancements for us Denali guys.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah right. You got like a million posts.

i asked my dad to put it in bookmarks so u just click the "internet" button and click tahoe forum. that simple, but what i mean is im not that computer tecky,i can hook them up and use the internet and e-mail and if nobody else is around i install a program.

would a programmer void the warrenty, the only computer mod i had done was the speed gov to 120.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the Fusion application doesn't seem to make anything different on the Evolution itself that I can plainly tell. I reprogrammed with the Extreme tune, and I'll have to wail till tomorrow to check it out...see if any performance is different or anything. Too tired to go drive at the moment, plus it's all rainy and crappy out -- blech!

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the Fusion application doesn't seem to make anything different on the Evolution itself that I can plainly tell. I reprogrammed with the Extreme tune, and I'll have to wail till tomorrow to check it out...see if any performance is different or anything. Too tired to go drive at the moment, plus it's all rainy and crappy out -- blech!

Well! Keep us posted. I wouldn't know if it makes any difference because when I installed the software in my PC and then connected the Edge, it prompted me to download the new software, therefore I didn't get to work with the Lightning.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well! Keep us posted. I wouldn't know if it makes any difference because when I installed the software in my PC and then connected the Edge, it prompted me to download the new software, therefore I didn't get to work with the Lightning.

No real difference here between using the Edge with Lightning or with Fusion. Lightning gives you more information on what versions of firmware and calibrations are out there, and allows you to select which to download, while Fusion seems to just grab the latest no matter what (which is probably okay). Anyway, no issues with the Edge w/ Fusion, seems the same to me based on my driving today...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the warning, now i will wait.

Heh! Dude, I was being totally sarcastic. Our warranties are fine. Get a programmer if you want one, and read any of the numerous discussions on here of after-market modifications affecting warranties. Magnuson-Moss act; look it up.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extreme Power Mode(setting #4) Report

Yesterday I finally was able to give the Edge a good try. I changed the setting to #4(Extreme Power) and took my Kon for 800 miles round trip. In the first half of the trip I stopped and refueled after 420 miles and I averaged 21MPG. Of course I probably could have done better, but I just couldn’t keep my foot to far from the floorboard.:D For the most part I was trying to cruise at 80MPH, but part of the trip was on a single lane road so I was floored it on multiple occasions to pass slow vehicles and semis that were slowing my progress.:mad2: I have to say that I did notice more power and response using this setting than using the fuel economy one or just driving stock. On the second half of the trip, I was carrying about 800lbs of extra cargo and also averaging (80MPH). After the 800 miles road race; sorry I meant trip, my average fuel economy was 20MPG. Keep in mind that my engine is the 5.3. Overall I’m really pleased with the performance gain along with the fuel economy that I have achieved by installing the Edge in my Kon. To put it into perspective I made the same trip four weeks ago, when the Kon was stock and I averaged 18MPG cruising at 70MPH and without being so throttle happy.:thumbsup:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that mpg calculated or off the DIC?

Rolling Thunder: If you decided to get a programmer, don't forget to put stock tune back in when you take it to dealer cuz they might just do a software upgrade.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that mpg calculated or off the DIC?

Rolling Thunder: If you decided to get a programmer, don't forget to put stock tune back in when you take it to dealer cuz they might just do a software upgrade.

No DIC, I calculated it.:D

And yea! I know I don't want have the headache to have the dealer delete the Edge tune and then have to pay Edge again to get it back.:zav:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukonator, you got 19.5 with the economy tune and 21 with the Performance tune correct? Lets look at what really matters, miles/dollar. Lets assume 3.00 for regular and 3.20 for premium. The regular gets you 6.5 miles/dollar. Premium gets you 6.56 miles/dollar... OK, that came out better than I thought it was going to... That is really not bad given the performance enhancement that the premium allows... Maybe I ought to get one of those... Are those numbers holding up still?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though my numbers are of course different, the same stands true for me. I put in 93, and get a lower cost per mile with the performance tune. This is why I always run 93. The long term operating cost is actually less, and I get better performance. Using 87/89 to save a few cents on a gas purchase is penny-wise & pound-foolish with this tuner, it seems (at least in my case).

Here's some math I did a long time ago before my intake or tuner, which was also true in this regard.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukonator, you got 19.5 with the economy tune and 21 with the Performance tune correct? Lets look at what really matters, miles/dollar. Lets assume 3.00 for regular and 3.20 for premium. The regular gets you 6.5 miles/dollar. Premium gets you 6.56 miles/dollar... OK, that came out better than I thought it was going to... That is really not bad given the performance enhancement that the premium allows... Maybe I ought to get one of those... Are those numbers holding up still?

Those numbers still holding!:thumbsup:

It is clear to me that I gained absolutely more power and also better gas mileage using premium gas and the extreme energy tune. I want to do another run using premieum gas with the economy tune to see if there is abetter number as far as MPG using the economy tune with premium gas. I now maybe its not going to be that much of a diference, but I want to experiment and give you guys another option to consider perhaps. I will keep you guys posted as soon as i get the chance to perform my test.:D

ki4izq

Reaction score
does anyone have info on what the "economy" tune really does... is there a power gain or loss... what compromises do they make for more mpg... i really want to leave mine in the economy mode but i dont want to give up any power... i can tell the engine goes into v4 mode more often and seems to stay in longer... any good guesses????

ki4izq

Reaction score
not yet!!! its been about 2 weeks for me also....

do you know what color it is??? i hope it matches without me having to paint it.....

bisignano

Reaction score
Still waiting

I got my edge last Tuesday. I called immediately to get my POD. I am also still waiting. I called on Friday to get a tracking number and they still have not sent it from Utah. They stated that they make them as per the request and that they make them in batches. I guess when they get enough to make it worth their while they press them out. The color is supposed to be black. If anyone gets any more info please let me know.
I also have to get another Evolution. The programming worked, however, the unit doesn't come on properly. Edge stated that once the vehicle is programmed the Evolution just becomes a monitoring unit.

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my pod within a week of calling them but that was just before xmas. The color is pretty close to the light titanium interior I have.

I'm running economy tune now and am wondering if I should run xtreme with premium gas "all the time" for ultimate mileage gain as several people have posted.

Other Edge owners please report in and clarify that you have 2WD vs 4WD.