Engine Swap information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

incognito

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Fairly new here, but hoping to get some good advice.

I picked up an 01 Tahoe LS about 8 months ago, awesome shape and I love it.
5.3, 4x4, really happy with it.

given this is my second vehicle and I want to make a "toy" out of it, ive been looking into an engine swap.

some random websites said the LS6 (01-04 Z06) will bolt right in ? is this true ?
Im looking for a simple swap, I dont want to get into shifting mounts around and cutting and hacking the truck apart.
Seems the LQ9 is also another option ? is this a bolt in ? given I get complete engine and harness and ECU ?

Any advice on what I can do and whats possible would be great (yes anything in possible wiht $$$), but Im looking for something without running into massive modifications or troubles.

Thanks

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Yes, they should bolt right in. Should be an easy swap when the harness ECM, and everything is going in with it. And I mean any of them. They should all have the same mounting positions, etc...

incognito

Reaction score
Thanks, I guess my more specific questions would be in regards to wiring/harness.
Will my Harness accept the swap ECU ? (unplug my ecu/plug the new one in to the stock truck harness) will my harness "plug in" to the swap ? (sensors, etc etc)
I know it wont be easy, but with so much false information going around I am trying to get it all correct before I even think about it.
one gent said he took the LS6, bolted it in, bolted to the 4l60e, plugged everything in and turned the key and drove away, I dont know but something about that seems to easy.

clkelley

Reaction score
To be quite honest, I have to say he is right. The other engines have the same sensors that yours has. The harness should be the same as long as the engine you swap into it comes from the same year model vehicle. All of the components on the outside of the engine are the same so you shouldn't have a problem at all.

incognito

Reaction score
Thanks clkelley

But correct me if im wrong, is it the not the same engine harness from 01-04 in the tahoe ? with the change in 05 ?
meaning an engine from 01-04 would fit ? or is it more complex then that ?

clkelley

Reaction score
Yes, up to 06, once you go to 07+ they change and you would have more work involved. Sorry, I wasn't clear about that.

incognito

Reaction score
ok, 01-06

thank you sir, youve been a great help.

now finding an engine, (in canada) should be a mission all on its own, lol