Factory chrome mesh grille install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

car-15

Reaction score
Well.... today the weather was decent and I was able to install my factory chrome mesh grille on my '07 LTZ. It was pretty straightforward and I didn't have to remove the bumper cover. Installation is as follows:

1. Remove the top six screws that hold on the upper grill.

2. remove the two side clips that hold the upper grille to the bumper cover (these were a bitch)

3. Remove the two speed nuts on the back of the Chevy bowtie badge.

4. unsnap all of the tabs on the bottom of the upper grille. Remove

5. unsnap all of the black tabs on the lower grill all the way around. Remove

6. install lower grill by snapping it in place (make sure all of the tabs are seated)

7. install upper grille and seat all of the bottom tabs

8. install speed nuts

9. install side clips

10. install all six upper screws.

11. enjoy a cold beer.

Notes:

The bottom tabs on the bottom grille were kind of a pain to get unsnapped. Keep trying, you will get it!

Good luck!!

Elpresidente

Reaction score
let me ask you a question since the 07 are pretty much the same as the 08.
when you removed the black mesh to install your chrome did your chrome bezel come out? because i tried having my factory mesh removed so i can have a wire mesh grille installed and when the installer removed the black mesh he told me the chrome bezel fell out and told me the black mesh acts like security clips to hold the chrome bezel to the bumber and grille frame.

car-15

Reaction score
Are you trying to install a factory chrome mesh grille or an aftermarket? If it is aftermarket, you will probably have to cut the black mesh part away from the chrome surround ring.

YMMV

Elpresidente

Reaction score
nah i was trying to go with a wire mesh style but i wanted it to look flush from the rear of the chrome bezel so i can have that chrome lip in the front. i was thinking the same thing also about cutting the plastic mesh out just did not know if that was the route i had to take.

car-15

Reaction score
nah i was trying to go with a wire mesh style but i wanted it to look flush from the rear of the chrome bezel so i can have that chrome lip in the front. i was thinking the same thing also about cutting the plastic mesh out just did not know if that was the route i had to take.

Sounds like it. I have a factory black mesh grille that I took off of my '07 I'd let go real cheap if you are interested. That way you could practice on something and if it works out, great.... if not, you still have your original grille.

Let me know.

Kalons 07 LT3

Reaction score
Need some guidance

Hey everyone, I have a 2007 Tahoe LT3 with a black grill. I want to remove just the black portion of the grill and paint them (top and bottom) what is the easiest way to do this without removing the entire front end. Also is there a particular paint anyone could suggest as I am wanting to paint it chrome to look more like the LTZ factory grill. Any help would be appreciated. Also this is my first post, as I just became a member today.

modeste11210

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 2007 Tahoe LT3 with a black grill. I want to remove just the black portion of the grill and paint them (top and bottom) what is the easiest way to do this without removing the entire front end. Also is there a particular paint anyone could suggest as I am wanting to paint it chrome to look more like the LTZ factory grill. Any help would be appreciated. Also this is my first post, as I just became a member today.

your best bet would be to take the bumper apart very easy to remove bumper just remove the wheel covers by the two front tires and the screws are easy to get.or there is a very good video on youtube to you how to do it.

Kalons 07 LT3

Reaction score
your best bet would be to take the bumper apart very easy to remove bumper just remove the wheel covers by the two front tires and the screws are easy to get.or there is a very good video on youtube to you how to do it.

Any chance you could post the link to said youtube video? :emotions34:

Swampfoxviper

Reaction score
hey yall. I just did a replacement of my old black stock grill with a LTZ chrome grill.. I actually just got this tahoe and have no prior experience working with tahoes or chevys for that matter..

The new chrome grill cost me bout 240 bucks on ebay. OEM part.

You will need:
1. socket wrench and 10mm socket
2. your bare hands
3. tough wrists.. they will get scratched up
4. Couple beers for during and after.

Time: 45 mins

First get all the top screws out, but keep them. My new grill didn't come with new ones.

2dkd2tg.jpg

Give it a little wiggle to loosen it up a bit.

Now you're gonna have to get the 2 speed nuts off the back of the bowtie.

KEEP them for when you put the new one in.

It will look like this back there when you get the nuts off.. You won't be able to see back there, so it's kind of a b to get them off. Just reach back there with your 10mm socket and wrech. It takes some wiggling around, but it will loosen. Just twist em off after that.
2lsh7jq.jpg

Now comes the longest part.. Basically you are gonna have to get the clips off the whole bottom row of the top section grill. The clips hold it in place. Don't get discouraged. Just work your way around and do some wiggling, but be careful. The black frame that is part of the front end of the tahoe is sensitive.

Here are pics of the clips.
2utnm6o.jpg

So now you've got the top section of the grill off. The bottom section sucks to get off, but your hands will have more room. Just work your way around and get all the clips. Just some wiggling and eventually it will all come off.. Here is pics of that process.
xdtuh5.jpg

dpbddg.jpg

14jq6ac.jpg

Now you're about home free.. When you push in the new grill sections, be careful to make sure you are including all the clips(check them), and on the top section make sure you look at all the guide pegs.. There are 3 of them on the top side of the top section and 2 of the sides of the top section, plus all the clips. ALSO!! DO NOT FORGET the three guide pegs in the back of the bowtie.

33m68g2.jpg

2ze9d78.jpg

52ni11.jpg

Now just give all sections a firm push and tug to make sure all clips are secure and nothing is missing.
Now push and twist the speed nuts on the back on the bowtie (kind sucks and hurts your fingers but just push em as far as you can and work them with your socket wrench).
Secure the top screws and you're all done!

2mds01j.jpg

Hope this helps! Grab a cold beer after and all works out.

justimagination

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome:....and what a great job with the step by step photo's, definately needs to go on You Tube. Keep up the good work neighbor, and one fine ride.
david g.