FIXED my HORN!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yesterday I had a little time to wrench, so I thought I'd try to fix my horn... I've needed it a few times lately...

The problem was the horn switch. The part is incredibly simple... just a metal contact that is spring loaded to keep it in contact w/ the steering colum when the steering is rotated. It receives ground (-) power when the airbag/horn pad is pressed.

Anyway, as it turned out, the spring was kinda compressed (I guess after 10 yrs of being in place). After testing the horn w/ a jumper wire, I knew the connection was ok. I just pulled out the horn switch, and pulled on the spring to stretch it. That's it! Now it works perfect!

Thanks Treepete for the reference and info you supplied! That really helped me find out what I might be in for.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SIR wasn't too bad. It just took a few minutes to stare and figure out... through the small gap after loosening the rear steering cover, and the lower column cover.

I did a small write up w/ more details in the "Techincal" discussions of this forum.

Damn... I love free fixes.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell yeah. each fix\ makes the truck better somehow..Like, more intimate.

cripes.. did I just say that out loud? :D