For the life of me, can NOT get homelink to work...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reset the buttons in the Tahoe, that went fine. I then took my hand held garage door opener in the Tahoe, pushed the button and held it about 2" from the homelink buttons. I then pushed and held the left homelink button while still holding garage door opener button. Nothing happens...the homelink button just stays solid green. I must have sat there like this for at least a minute and no change.

I have a Linear garage door opener that does have a 'Learn' button on the opener itself so last night, I pushed the learn button on the opener (a red LED on the opener started blinking). I got in the Tahoe and pushed the left homelink button three times and nothing!! I believe you have to program the homelink button first with the handheld unit AND THEN do the learning process (push learn button on opener and homelink button three times) but I can't get past step one.....holding remote opener close to homelink and push both and get homelink to respond by blinking and then going solid..somethign is not right....I have already read the link above and it does not help. I guess I am missing something. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the system with the three LED round lights, or do you have the one with the triangle light? Because if you have the 3 round LED version (made by Lear, not Homelink), they don't work with nearly as many garage door motors as the older ones. Many of us have found this out! Lear wants you to purchase a "transponder" piece that supposedly will allow your system to work...on principle alone, I refused to pay extra for this piece, and so just use the opener that came with the garage door. Sucks that GM had to change manufacturers (almost certainly it was to save a few pennies) and now a bunch of us are left with useless systems (unless you want to pony up for the $20 or whatever it was for this transponder)...

Donzi4me

Reaction score
I think you have it wrong. You use the learn button on the opener, not the remote transmitter.
For mine, I just pushed the learn button, then went inside the tahoe and held down the #1 button until the light on the opener flashed. My homelink works GREAT. Took about 15 secs. to program. I have a mid 90's chamberlain opener and the 3 single lights on the homelink.
GOOD LUCK

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what it is doing...

I have the one with three LED's. Went to the garage, pushed the learn button on the opener. The red LED on the opener turned solid read. I got in the Tahoe and pushed on of the homelink buttons. Nothing at first...after a couple of seconds, the red LED on the opener started blinking rapidly...thought I was making progress. Let off the homelink button, the opener light stopped blinking. Pushed the button again, the opener LED started blinking rapidly again...did this two or three times and every time the opener LED would rapidly blink. Well, obviously the homelink button is sending some type of signal to the opener as when I push a homelink button, the learn LED blinks.....but I can still can not operate the opener. Am I missing a simple step or something? This is getting irritating....

tomm

Reaction score
I have not programmed mine yet.. Maybe later today but my last car it was a 2 step process.

1. Have the car learn from the original door openers remote.
2. Have the garage opener learn from the homelink.

Since I have a rolling system it had to be done in 2 steps. Also, When opening I had to hold the homelink button down 2-3 seconds for it to open/close the door.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

I have not programmed mine yet.. Maybe later today but my last car it was a 2 step process.

1. Have the car learn from the original door openers remote.
2. Have the garage opener learn from the homelink.

Since I have a rolling system it had to be done in 2 steps. Also, When opening I had to hold the homelink button down 2-3 seconds for it to open/close the door.

Let me know how it goes. Maybe I am not holding down the home link button long enough....I will try that tonight.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried everything....

And nothing...instruction on mygmlink.com are actually different then the manual that came with my Tahoe. The gmlink manual says to put key in aux. position, push the two outer buttons for 1 to 2 seconds (when I do this, all three LED's turn solid). It then says to push learn button on opener. I do that and it turns solid red...then push and hold homelink button..do that and it blinks slowly. Opener light goes off after about 10 seconds....keep holding homelink button and eventually all three LED's starting blinking really fast...let go, lights stop blinking and light on opener is out. Push homelink button and learn light on opener blinks but no open garage door...GM JUNK....:mad2:

My garage door opener is 'mega code' if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Blackhammer

Reaction score
:D
And nothing...instruction on mygmlink.com are actually different then the manual that came with my Tahoe. The gmlink manual says to put key in aux. position, push the two outer buttons for 1 to 2 seconds (when I do this, all three LED's turn solid). It then says to push learn button on opener. I do that and it turns solid red...then push and hold homelink button..do that and it blinks slowly. Opener light goes off after about 10 seconds....keep holding homelink button and eventually all three LED's starting blinking really fast...let go, lights stop blinking and light on opener is out. Push homelink button and learn light on opener blinks but no open garage door...GM JUNK....:mad2:

My garage door opener is 'mega code' if that makes any difference.

I blew a head gasket after about 3 hours of screwing with this. I just bought a brand new 07 Yukon SLT 3 days ago and I found out that GM has now switched to a LEARCAR2U system and are no longer using the HOMELINK system. The site is www.learcar2u.com

Hit the link to see if your system is compatible with the truck. My was not. I have a LYNX opener. I had to order the module that would make it work with the Yukon. Cost was around 25$.

And by the way Z, your opener "mega code" is not on their list. :giggling:

Join the club!

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has all been well covered here, search around...but yeah, bottom line is that the Lear unit pretty much blows as far as compatibility...GM screwed this one up.

car2Usupport

Reaction score
Thank you for your interest in the Universal Home Remote product. Additional help is available to assist you with any programming issues or questions.

If your product has 3 LED lights, please refer to www.learCar2U.com or call 1-866-57Car2U for additional support.

Sincerely,

The Lear Car2U Team

AlecThigpen

Reaction score
I had the same issue with a Linear opener. All was fine on my 99 Suburban, and my 2007 Lexus, just this homelink system had a rank amateur writing the code for it. The fix is to add on a second unit like the one that comes with the door. If I have the one that came with the door, why should I get an additional one from the folks that screwed it up to begin with??:mad:

Sorry Lear but you guys don't have it together.

bonzaiflyer

Reaction score
05 Tahoe/Genie Intellicode Garage door openers/MultiCode Gate

Ok, here's what I have:
1. 05 Tahoe Z71
2. Gate to subdivision with Multicode brand opener.
3. Two garage doors with Genie Intellicode openers with the 'learn' button
on the motor housing by the antenna wire.

Here's what I did:
1. Press the 2 outside buttons on the HomeLink until the light goes solid.
2. Program the Multicode by:
a. Hold the remote against the windshield by the mirror (you can do this
from inside).
b. Press the button on the remote and the button you want on the
HomeLink (I choose the center one) simultaneously.
c. Keep them pressed until the light on the HomeLink flashes rapidly.
d. Release the buttons and you are done with that.
3. Program the Genie garage door openers by:
a. Hold the remote against the windshield by the mirror (from inside).
b. Press the button on the remote and the button you want (this time
I picked the button on the left) simultaneously.
d. Release the buttons.
e. Go to the opener motor and press the 'learn' button and the 'learn'
light on the opener flashes.
f. Go to the Homelink button and press it for 2 seconds, release, press
for 2 seconds, release, press for 2 seconds. On mine, the door
started working during the 3rd set of 2 seconds.
4. I repeated steps 3a-3f for the 2nd garage door using the HomeLink
button on the right.

Presto, everything works like it should.

Good luck and good night.

Last edited:

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles. It just sucks when things do not work like they are suppose to. I must be one of the lucky few that all works well with my garage opener and Homelink.

Armycop

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I have:
1. 05 Tahoe Z71
2. Gate to subdivision with Multicode brand opener.
3. Two garage doors with Genie Intellicode openers with the 'learn' button
on the motor housing by the antenna wire.

Here's what I did:
1. Press the 2 outside buttons on the HomeLink until the light goes solid.
2. Program the Multicode by:
a. Hold the remote against the windshield by the mirror (you can do this
from inside).
b. Press the button on the remote and the button you want on the
HomeLink (I choose the center one) simultaneously.
d. Release the buttons and you are done with that.
3. Program the Genie garage door openers by:
a. Hold the remote against the windshield by the mirror (from inside).
b. Press the button on the remote and the button you want (this time
I picked the button on the left) simultaneously.
d. Release the buttons.
e. Go to the opener motor and press the 'learn' button and the 'learn'
light on the opener flashes.
f. Go to the Homelink button and press it for 2 seconds, release, press
for 2 seconds, release, press for 2 seconds. On mine, the door
started working during the 3rd set of 2 seconds.
4. I repeated steps 3a-3f for the 2nd garage door using the HomeLink
button on the right.

Presto, everything works like it should.

Good luck and good night.

Yup, what he said. 08 Yukon SLT for me.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
Anyone get the above mentioned procedure to work with Marantec openers? Looks like I'll have to fit the bill for 4 conversion modules. However, I really don't feel comfortable bypassing the German engineered security programmed into the Marantec openers. Besides, one would think a system in a $56k vehicle would actually work. It also looks really cheap when you have to buy a little module to bypass security to make it work. Not impressive.

I'd presonally like to thank GM for changing a good thing that worked fine for years. Sorry to say, but Lear's Car2u system doesn't cut it for a "Universal Remote System". They need to do their homework and support a more broad range of opener manufacturers.